Bike Stolen, Need Advice on Replacement

AshBrown
AshBrown Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys, new member here just after a bit of advice...

Having been, until a recent bike theft, the proud owner of a 2012 Voodoo Hoodoo I am now a little stuck. I have around £250-300 to spend on a replacement bike, thinking of going the ebay/gumtree route to search out a bargain but not really sure what my best options would be.

In term of use, at the moment I am just starting out, light trails, bit of XC and such but would like to have something that will not leave me blushing if and when I decide to start tackling some tougher downhills and maybe a touch of free riding as my skill level progresses.

I realise there is no cover all bases answer for my price budget, but was hoping some of you in the know may be able to suggest something to look out for that may be in or just above my budget in the pre-owned market. Have so far been looking at Hoodoo's (again), Krakens, Rockhoppers, and some of the Saracen range but i really want to make sure I get the best deal I can so if any one has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

I have a couple of bike mechanic mates, so was also considering buying a frame and building myself, would this prove a better way of getting something affordable yet with half decent spec?

Hope i'm not going over too much already covered ground for you guys....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers