Shimano 105 5800 Groupset Upgrade - worth it?

Macdory
Macdory Posts: 113
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I currently have a 2013 Specialized Secteur Triple with Shimano 2300 triple 52/42/30 and 12-25 8 speed Cassette.

I like the bike, and I'm really comfortable with the frame, but I am considering upgrading to Shimano 105 5800 Groupset with 11-32 Cassette and 52-36 Compact.

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Or would I be better advised to sell the current bike and buy a new one with the 105 groupset already installed?

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    If you can afford a new bike, get one because new bike.

Otherwise for me, 5800 would be a massive upgrade from 2300. There's an approximately 93% chance you'd be very pleased.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Merlin currently have 10% off, and if you go through Top Cashback too it brings the price down to around £250. It's a no brainer for that, easily the best value groupset you can buy.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You will need an 11 speed compatible rear wheel to accommodate the wider 11 speed cassette. If you dont already have one.
  • Macdory
    You will need an 11 speed combatible rear wheel to accommodate the wider 11 speed cassette. If you dont already have one.

I have Fulcrum Racing 5's installed - put these on last summer
  • Macdory
    Merlin currently have 10% off, and if you go through Top Cashback too it brings the price down to around £250. It's a no brainer for that, easily the best value groupset you can buy.

Thanks - that is what made me look :)
  • woo1
    woo1 Posts: 51
    I'm in a similar position. I've got a 2011 CAAD10 105 and my cogs and chain are starting wear & will need replacing. I do like my bike and debating whether to upgrade slightly to 105 11, Ultegra 6800 11 for £420 ish or just buy a new bike with Ultegra.
    I've got Fulcrum 3 wheels on my CAAD10, would I see a massive diff between 105 10 (currently got) & 11, also Ultegra 11 over my current 10, or just get a new bike .
    Is there going to be a massive difference if I upgrade to ultegra from a new bike, maybe 1kg if your pushing it.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    edited August 2015
    i went from 5700 to 5800 and the difference was notable
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    I have just upgraded from 4600 to 5700 and I have seen a marked improvement!

Mainly for me it's the improved feel of the shifting and breaking through the new shifters. It's a lot more positive, and I love the small amount trim adjustment you can input on the front dérailleur.

Highly recommended move from me.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Hi,

I currently have a 2013 Specialized Secteur Triple with Shimano 2300 triple 52/42/30 and 12-25 8 speed Cassette.

I like the bike, and I'm really comfortable with the frame, but I am considering upgrading to Shimano 105 5800 Groupset with 11-32 Cassette and 52-36 Compact.

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Or would I be better advised to sell the current bike and buy a new one with the 105 groupset already installed?

I would say yes. Well worth £250, you'll notice a massive difference coming from 2300. The Secteur is a good frame in the first place so it's worth sticking with that and a good groupset, especially since you've already got good wheels.

I wouldn't say 52-36 is a compact mind, but that setup does provide an excellent gearing range.
  • markhewitt1978

Mainly for me it's the improved feel of the shifting and breaking through the new shifters. It's a lot more positive, and I love the small amount trim adjustment you can input on the front dérailleur.

OP was talking about 5800 which is vastly different from 5700.
  • woo1
    woo1 Posts: 51
    Does anyone know if you would notice a big difference between 105 5800 & Ultegra 6800 ( apart from the £170) ?

I'm thinking of saving the money and not buying a new bike with the upgrades and just buying the groupset as my 105 5600 is knackered,

Any suggestions ?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

But 4600 has trimming on the from derailleur?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559

Really? I had 5700 on my good bike (upgraded to 6800) and have 4600 on my winter bike and 4600 is much nicer than 5700. Theres little or no difference in the rear shifting but a huge difference on the front. 105 FD shifting is horrible and crude when going from small to big ring compared to the light action required on 4600 FD and going from big to small ring is absolutely awful, there is no finesse in it at all, it just snaps back in with a bang. 4600 does the same to an extent but it seems softer than 5700. I hated 5700 and rode the bike for 2 years with it, I couldnt wait to get rid of it, I hated it so much it wasnt even a consideration to put it on my winter bike, I wanted rid of it and will never buy a bike with it again.

6800 is a whole new ball game, smoother, quiter, slicker, lighter and all round massively superior to 5700 and 6700 for that matter.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559

Really? I had 5700 on my good bike (upgraded to 6800) and have 4600 on my winter bike and 4600 is much nicer than 5700. Theres little or no difference in the rear shifting but a huge difference on the front. 105 FD shifting is horrible and crude when going from small to big ring compared to the light action required on 4600 FD and going from big to small ring is absolutely awful, there is no finesse in it at all, it just snaps back in with a bang. 4600 does the same to an extent but it seems softer than 5700. I hated 5700 and rode the bike for 2 years with it, I couldnt wait to get rid of it, I hated it so much it wasnt even a consideration to put it on my winter bike, I wanted rid of it and will never buy a bike with it again.

6800 is a whole new ball game, smoother, quieter, slicker, lighter and all round massively superior to 5700 and 6700 for that matter.
  • markhewitt1978
    I ran 5700 and now use 6700. And yes I agree 5700 is pretty crappy really, especially the braking and front shifting. 6700 front shifting isn't perfect but at least it works most of the time, 5700 I used to dread going from the little to the big ring it was so difficult that I ended up grinding up a lot of climbs just so I didn't have to front shift!

A few months ago I hired a 5700 bike abroad and it was just as bad as I remember - pity as the rest of the bike was completely awesome.
  • Macdory
    Groupset has arrived ... now to strip my bike down and rebuild it ...

I'm glad there are some really good youtube video's showing 'how to'

'Working from home' tomorrow ... hoping to get it all sorted for the weekend :)
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Good stuff! :D I'm sure you'll love it.

I have Shimano 105 5700 (from 2012 I belive) on my old bike and just put the 5800 11-speed on my new bike and it's noticeably better. You'll certainly feel the difference once you have it all set up and running smoothly!
  • Macdory
    First proper ride this afternoon ... the fact that I can stay on the drops and still change up gear makes a massive difference. Plus, it is just so much smoother to change up and down.

Probably placebo effect, but knocked 3 minutes off my best time over 31 miles.

It's like riding a new bike ... impressive for £250

How much do you think I should get for my old 2300 stuff?

Thanks for the comments all
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Can you use a 5800 front mech instead of the 10 speed 5700? Must admit the big/small ring change isn't the greatest on 5700.
  • Can you use a 5800 front mech instead of the 10 speed 5700? Must admit the big/small ring change isn't the greatest on 5700.

I believe there is an incompatibility with the 5700 left shifter and the 5800 front mech, they need to be matched for pull ratios.