Reverb drop post what size for my giant trance?

maZu
maZu Posts: 9
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all

im looking at investing and getting a rockshox reverb for my giant trance 27.5 (2014 model), its a medium sized frame and id like to get some advice about the reverb or any other dropper that could be worth checking out.

my current post is 30.9 x 375
when the seat is lowered to its lowest point, the distance from the bottom of the seat clamp to the bottom of the tube clamp is about 140mm
after lifting the seat up to a more suitable xc riding height, the length is about 200mm

i can see that the reverb with the 125mm dropper only comes in a 380mm post... which i assume means that it would not be a good fit for my bike?

does that mean that 355mm post with a 100mm dropper is my only option?

appreciate any help with this small dilemma of mine!

many thanks!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    355mm X 30.9mm is probably right. You might even need the longer one. How far above the minimum insert are you with the saddle at full xc height?
  • maZu
    not sure i get what you mean....
    but if its what im thinking.. when the bottom line on the back of post is in line with the top of the clamp .. its about 240mm to the seat clamp...

is that what you mean?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, the bottom line will be about 100mm from the bottom of the post, so that dimension is impossible, whatever that line is!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • maZu
    No, the bottom line will be about 100mm from the bottom of the post, so that dimension is impossible, whatever that line is!

haha well i dont know then... if im to have nearly the whole post out ill never be able to sit on the seat, it would be way too high !
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    How much post do you have showing when it is at the correct height for pedalling?

I'm using the Giant contact switch on my trance, works well and has been reliable, plus a fair bit cheaper than the reverb.
  • maZu
    How much post do you have showing when it is at the correct height for pedalling?

I'm using the Giant contact switch on my trance, works well and has been reliable, plus a fair bit cheaper than the reverb.

from the bottom of the seat clamp to the top of the clamp on the frame is about 185mm
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Right from what I can find the measurement from the centre of the saddle rails to the base of the collar on the reverb (doesn't fit inside the seat tube so is the minimum height of the post at full extension) is approximately 190mm for the 125mm drop post. The 100mm drop post seems to need 175mm which seems a little odd.

The post also has a minimum insert of 80mm but off the top I can't remember the minimum of the frame.

Depending on where you are measuring and how accurately the 125mm drop may be too long and the 100mm a better fit
  • maZu
    Right from what I can find the measurement from the centre of the saddle rails to the base of the collar on the reverb (doesn't fit inside the seat tube so is the minimum height of the post at full extension) is approximately 190mm for the 125mm drop post. The 100mm drop post seems to need 175mm which seems a little odd.

The post also has a minimum insert of 80mm but off the top I can't remember the minimum of the frame.

Depending on where you are measuring and how accurately the 125mm drop may be too long and the 100mm a better fit

yeah im thinking that the 100mm will be a better fit as well.
    ill do some more research before i buy anything... dont want to be sending items back from wherever i buy ..

thanks for your help so far
  • maZu
    ended up going into the local bike shop and got measured up... got told that the 30.9 with a 380mm seat post is the right fit for me!

wooo... ordered !

thanks for all your input!