Stripped/Rounded Torx Bolts on FSA stem

TheJackal
TheJackal Posts: 169
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Made the mistake of buying a cheap torque wrench from Wiggle... no instructions and not exactly like larger ones I'd used but I should have known better :oops:

Now I'm left with a lovely new FSA carbon stem with two rounded/stripped bolts. I would usually dremmel the heads and extract with a flat head screwdriver but as it's a bit too close to the carbon for comfort, is there any alternative and would anyone know where I could get two replacement bolts from?

Is there a Loctite product that would allow me to "glue" an allen key in the head, for example?

Thanks in advance.
2012 Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 19 lbs
2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Made the mistake of buying a cheap torque wrench from Wiggle... no instructions and not exactly like larger ones I'd used but I should have known better :oops:

Now I'm left with a lovely new FSA carbon stem with two rounded/stripped bolts. I would usually dremmel the heads and extract with a flat head screwdriver but as it's a bit too close to the carbon for comfort, is there any alternative and would anyone know where I could get two replacement bolts from?

Is there a Loctite product that would allow me to "glue" an allen key in the head, for example?

Thanks in advance.
    drill.

not suprised you messed up witha torque wrench as you are mixing your words up as well Torx and allen!

am i the only one who put a bolt in the vice to check my torque wrenches are working (not including getting them calibrated) then i know if they are going to go click or clunk or bend...

a drill sounds like your best option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Liquid metal may glue a key in well enough, but it will need to be held in place while it sets.

Did you not stop after mullering the first?

Sometimes you can have some joy running a drill in reverse, the tip can catch on the Torx (or is it Allen) slot and unscrew the bolt.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TheJackal
    ... the dangers of using a bleeding torque wrench without instructions.

Bolts said 6nm and I had no idea what that felt like. The wrench didn't seem to click like car ones I'd used, so I just kept on tightening to slightly more than usual :oops:

Thnakfully, the head of the bolts started to break and not the carbon stem! I couldn't work out whether it was the strength used or the quality of the bolt heads or the actual wrench bit?

As to replacing the bolts, any ideas. The FSA ones are different to ones I've used in that you need a 4mm on one side and a 5mm on the other.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ... I couldn't work out whether it was the strength used or the quality of the bolt heads or the actual monkey holding the wrench bit?
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TheJackal
    LOL!
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs