Mavic Cosmic Elite - bearings?

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Past few rides I've heard a noise, very similar to the famous Mavic Death Squeal except it only last's for a second and not when I'm free-wheeling. It only happens at about 30mph.

Wheels are just over 18 months old and have covered close to 10k miles in all conditions.

I suffered the mavic death squeal earlier this year and replaced the freehub so I'm fairly confident that isn't developing again. I'm thinking the bearing's could need replacing?

Does this sound right and if so where's the best place for replacement bearings?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What do the bearings feel like with the bike on a workstand? Any lateral play at the wheel rim? Do they spin freely / silently? With the wheels out of the bike do the axles spin smoothly by hand and can you feel any play / grittiness?

I'd want to be sure it was the bearings before going to the trouble / expense of replacing them.

You could try whipping the freehub off and lubing it a bit to see if that helps...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Mavic_hub_How-To_4006.html
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Almost certain it's not the freehub. I only replaced the freehub in January and the noise doesn't occur in the same circumstances.

I haven't really inspected them to be honest so will have a look for play etc tonight.