Clarks Skeletal Piston Popped Out...

starbuck88
starbuck88 Posts: 9
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I was trying to free up the rear brakes (bike been stood for about 2 years!)

Took calliper off, took pads out and squeezed on the brake lever...then like an idiot, I squeezed again and the piston popped out and fluid started coming out...

I pushed the piston back in....then pushed it right the way back so there was a massive gap, cleaned it, put the old pads back in and re-attached calliper.

There is now no rubbing and wheel spins freely and when I apply some brake, the lever moves more now due to loss of fluid but it stops the wheel.

My question is...should that piston pop out like that, is a seal likely broken now and it's going to leak fluid if I replace with all new fluid?

I know they are known as naff brakes but when I was using the bike they've only probably got 20 miles or so use on them so would prefer to not have to buy a new set.

However if I do, what is a good lower cost set?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just fill them up. bleed and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes the piston will just pop out when mishandled as you did.

It is possible the seal was damaged when the piston was refitted, there is only one way to find out.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.