Campag athena shifter issue

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I'm trying to resolve an issue on my right shifter (campag Athena 2010 )
I had a cable snap recently due to wear in the cable inside the shifter itself .
I've replaced the cable and it shifts up and down the block ok without problem

Every now and again after shifting from the bottom of the block back to the top the thumb shifter goes slack and
Will not allow me to downshift unless I push it all the way down then release it back up.
I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong and nit a worn shifter part.

Any ideas

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    could there be some frayed cable bits left in the shifter?

on my old shimano shifters, a clean out with some WD40 followed by some sprayable motorbike chain wax (think sprayable grease) sorted this for me
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If the previous cable frayed inside the lever, it may be that you had a shimano inner cable in there, as the cable end is slightly larger and causes friction. If you've got the wrong cable in there again, it may be catching and so the ratchet isn't sitting properly
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Thanks I'll give it a go
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I find similar issues (that or the thumb button gets jammed) occur on the new Campagnolo levers, even at Record level. They seem to be temporary problems, that tend to resolve and maybe reappear a few months down the line... in essence they are not that good levers, I am afraid
    left the forum March 2023
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I find similar issues (that or the thumb button gets jammed) occur on the new Campagnolo levers, even at Record level. They seem to be temporary problems, that tend to resolve and maybe reappear a few months down the line... in essence they are not that good levers, I am afraid

I've found the cause for the thumb lever jamming with modern ultrashift levers is two fold. One is the simple case of not having the hoods fitted properly and the slot for the thumb levers is partially closed - so that it hinders the thumb lever returning.

The second case is riding with the thumbs on the levers and accidentally depressing the lever a tiny fraction. This can partially move the lever ratchet tooth (?!?) so that ratchet pulls into a place where the tooth can't pull it around properly.

Both these things result in the same type of jam. The solution is to pull the thumb lever back up to it's starting-postion with the top of the thumb.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

The second case is riding with the thumbs on the levers and accidentally depressing the lever a tiny fraction. This can partially move the lever ratchet tooth (?!?) so that ratchet pulls into a place where the tooth can't pull it around properly.

Both these things result in the same type of jam. The solution is to pull the thumb lever back up to it's starting-postion with the top of the thumb.

Good tip, I'll try that next time it happens
    left the forum March 2023