Shimano dx / pd-m636 rebuild mini project

joebristol
joebristol Posts: 327
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
So having recently got a bike from this century, I can't resist putting some 90's tech on it. Already got some 520 cheaply spds that are fine, but always fancied some platform type spds. Had time atacs back in the day, but never got round to having the legendary red dx pedals.

Won some from eBay recently for £1.04 plus p & p so now I have a pair! Of course red doesn't go with a silver and green bike so they need to change colour, and at the same time I plan to rebuild them with new bearings and grease.

So far they are in pieces and I now need to work out how to strip the paint, and source new ball bearings. I'd read online that you needed a special tool to get them apart, but I had them apart in about 10 mins just with a few basic tools. Result.

Pictures so far below, any hints on paint stripping / repainting welcomed, and any tips on rebuilding the pedals are would be great. I'm reasonably handy with this sort of stuff.

20150719_193158.jpg

20150719_193208.jpg

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd probably buy some new ones - they look shite on all levels even if shiny.
  • joebristol
    Define 'sh*te on all levels'?

I love the look of these pedals when in good condition, and reckon they'll clean up nicely. I used them for one ride and they click in / out ok and the bearings werent actually too bad. With new bearings / fully greased and repainted I think they'll look great. I plan to sand all the gouges out on the edges - and have found a company in Bristol that powder coat motorbike and bike parts. Emailed them for a quote.

I did think about the pd 647s (I think that's the number), but didn't like the idea of a resin cage round the spd bit.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Caged SPDs are the worst of both worlds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Define 'sh*te on all levels'?

I love the look of these pedals when in good condition, and reckon they'll clean up nicely. I used them for one ride and they click in / out ok and the bearings werent actually too bad. With new bearings / fully greased and repainted I think they'll look great. I plan to sand all the gouges out on the edges - and have found a company in Bristol that powder coat motorbike and bike parts. Emailed them for a quote.

I did think about the pd 647s (I think that's the number), but didn't like the idea of a resin cage round the spd bit.

ask them to sandblast them too then (remove the spd part obviously)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Soda blast, then no need to remove the SPD bit at all.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joebristol
    The company I have found do blast cleaning and shot blasting - both of which can be used before powder coating - just waiting for a quote.

Prices seem ok online - say a motorbike kick stand is £5, a pair of motorbike fork yokes is £20. Hoping it comes out fairly cheap otherwise it's not worth it.

I've only used platform spds once when I tested these a week or so back - I like that if you clip out and can't quite get back in you've got more pedal under your foot until you can get back in.

Platform spds can't be that bad if most of the world's DH'ers use them (albeit they seem to mostly use CB Mallets.....although it sounds like they break a lot).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Downhillers may use Mallets, nearly everyone else uses non platforms.

All CB pedals are unreliable!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Joebristol dont listen to the nay-sayers - those old dx SPDs are cool... I had some and they were good - well ahead of their time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • joebristol
    Glad it's not just me that thinks they are cool.....always wanted asset and never did get them. If they're pap then I'll sell them on ebay - all spruced up they should go for more than I paid for them I'd think.