Conti gators 23s what pressures front/rear ?

DCI Gene Hunt
DCI Gene Hunt Posts: 138
edited July 2015 in Road general
I was trying them at 100 / 110 psi and found them harsh as :!: :!: :!: :!: , will try them tomorrow at 90 / 100 to see if this will smoothen things out. What pressures are any of you who use 23 gators using ?

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    If you want a smooth ride, you want neither Gatorskins nor 23mm! I like them for combination of economy, longevity, puncture resistance and lowish weight, but they are rock hard.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've got 25mm Gatorskins on two of my bikes and I've recently put them down to 80psi and I find them a lot more comfortable now.
  • are gp4seasons a more supple ride ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends on the pressure. Try a few different pressures and see what works. Recommendations are not much use, except as a start point.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I like 105-110 on these tyres. I usually have front and rear the same and all pressures are approximate as I just use bog-standard track pumps.

Gatorskins ride nicely and behave properly at 90-ish.

But they go better, steer more directly and generally feel happier at 110-ish.

I started using them for a longish commute, but I like them for pretty much all road use and have done TTs on them. Not spectacular, not cheap, but a nice, reliable tyre.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited July 2015
    are gp4seasons a more supple ride ?

I'm on my second set of 25mm GP 4 Seasons and find them quite a lively ride. I weigh 10 stone and run them at 70 / 80 psi F/R. They come into their own in the cold and wet where they really maintain grip. Puncture protection in the tread section is impressive but the sidewalls are quite thin (had a javelin-like thorn go through one)

They do come up true to size, so I'm not sure how comfy a ride you'd get with the 23mm versions inflated to higher pressures...
  • As others already said, 23mm tires are not the smoothest option.
    Regarding pressure that depends on your weight. Generally speaking, the more you weight the more pressure you need.
  • 25s gp4seasons 12.5 stones, what pressures do you suggest ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    25s gp4seasons 12.5 stones, what pressures do you suggest ?

Try 75 front and 85-90 rear, see how that feels.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I'm about the same weight as you. I run GP 4 Season 25s at 80-85 Front / 90-95 Back and find them very comfortable. That said, I don't really know how accurate the pressure gauge on my track pump is (Topeak JoeBlow Sport II)
    To me, they are plenty quick enough and responsive but to be honest, I don't do a lot of riding in the wet. I've been riding them for 800 miles and haven't had a puncture yet.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I'm about the same weight as you. I run GP 4 Season 25s at 80-85 Front / 90-95 Back and find them very comfortable. That said, I don't really know how accurate the pressure gauge on my track pump is (Topeak JoeBlow Sport II)
    To me, they are plenty quick enough and responsive but to be honest, I don't do a lot of riding in the wet. I've been riding them for 800 miles and haven't had a puncture yet.

how do the gp4s compare to gators for longevity
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Sorry. no idea as I have never used gators. All I can say is that I have also got 4 Seasons on my hybrid (albeit 28s) that have only done about 80 miles and there doesn't seem to be a lot of wear in evidence on the 25s on the road bike when you look at them side by side with the 28s. Hopefully, they have got a lot of life in them yet.
    I do not compete and, for me anyway, the 4 Seasons are an excellent balance of performance, comfort and durability and worth every penny of the higher price that you might pay compared to other types. I will definitely go for 4 Seasons again when it comes to replacement time.

Just my opinion - I'm sure there are plenty of different ones out there.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)