Toupe vs Selle Superflow?

rnath
rnath Posts: 176
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Just wondering if anyone has experience of these two saddles?

Although it's never felt 100%, I always seem to come back to the Toupe. I think a flatter profile and wider cutout may be going in the right direction and as W**gle has a sale on at the mo I'm tempted. If they're very similar though, would be good to avoid making yet another expensive addition to my saddle graveyard! :oops:

Comments

• cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Just wondering if anyone has experience of these two saddles?

Although it's never felt 100%, I always seem to come back to the Toupe. I think a flatter profile and wider cutout may be going in the right direction and as W**gle has a sale on at the mo I'm tempted. If they're very similar though, would be good to avoid making yet another expensive addition to my saddle graveyard! :oops:

I've had both and rode them for a good while. I found the superflow a little more comfortable than the toupe. For me both are good saddles as far as no numbness. The toupe did give me a little sit bone discomfort on long rides though I'd recently started cycling (6 months or so) and several years later the skin on my ass has toughened up and I don't think it would do the same now.

I ride the Spesh Romin on all my bikes these days. As comfy as the superflow but much lighter as it's the carbon railed version. Still cheaper than the Superflow though that does have a leather covering hence the higher price. Definitely add the Romin to the list.

Spesh concept stores do loan saddles. I've sometimes bought saddles and used them on the rollers a couple of times and if not suitable returned to the shop unmarked. Ask if it's okay to try it out on the turbo at home. Ive never had one say no, they just want it back unmarked.

In case you don't know, be aware saddle set back in relation to BB can change significantly between saddles. Putting the Romin in the same position as the Superflow put me in the wrong position and was a bit of trial and error trying to get the same position again.
  • the dip and the raised back on the toupe had me sliding all over the place and it was so firm it gave my bum a right batterring, def not recommended
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    the dip and the raised back on the toupe had me sliding all over the place and it was so firm it gave my bum a right batterring, def not recommended

The SuperFlow ripped my arse to shreds. Definitely not recommended.

Trouble is both of our opinions are perfectly valid and it doesn't help the OP. I'm afraid you just have to try them both and see what's best. Loan saddles are available and I believe Specialized insist on a 30 days full refund/exchange policy for saddles from their dealers? There's stuff to buy online and there's stuff to make friends with your LBS about - saddles falls into the latter category.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    the dip and the raised back on the toupe had me sliding all over the place and it was so firm it gave my bum a right batterring, def not recommended

Conversely, I find my Toupe Pro saddle superbly comfortable. As already said, the only way to find out what suits, is to try each one.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I'm the same as DKay, I have the Toupe on two bikes and they're better than anything else I've used.

My Toupe's are flat , no dips or raised parts. Are you sure you're not getting the Romin and Toupe mixed up?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    To be fair, when viewed in profile, the Toupe does have a slight dip in the middle.