Camps Veloce / Shimano 105

titchlmd
titchlmd Posts: 10
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi

I'm new to Road biking and currently trying to upgrade and build my bike. I recently got a bargain on ebay for the Camps Veloce crank set & front/rear brakes & front derailleur, the crank and derailleurI've yet to fit and now looking at fitting new gears and shifters at the same time but I'm struggling to find in budget Veloce gear parts ie the cassette and rear derailleur, as this is a 10 speed and I also read that the entry-level group Veloce, sits around the same area as Shimano Tiagra or 105, or SRAM Rival are they cross compatible.

Lets say you already know which parts I have that are camps so if I was to buy (which I can find good deals on ebay for) the Shimano 105 cassette and rear derailleur, would they be compatible. Both 10 speed and around the same spec. Also would this be the same for the shifters, would I be able to buy either Camps, Shimano or even SRAM shifters to work with the previously mentioned parts.

Thanks

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    If you need to budget, then I'd suggest you re-sell the Veloce front mech (at one time all front mechs were interchangeable, but now I'm not so sure) and buy Shimano levers, cassette and mechs (front and rear). That'll work ok with your chainset assuming you have a compatible rear wheel (shimano/SRAM cassettes wont fit on a Campag rear hub, and vice versa, so if you already have the wheels that may change what you do....).

The above is assuming a Veloce double chainset 9/10 speed.

You can get Shimano shifters to work with campag mechs, and vice versa, but it's not straightforward, and I'd guess your knowledge is pretty basic, so best not even contemplated.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    With 10 speed stuff shifters, mechs and cassette should ideally be from the same manufacturer, although SRAM and Shimano cassettes are interchangeable. The type of freehub on your rear wheel will determine what kind of cassette it will take; Shimano and SRAM use a different pattern of splines from that employed by Campag.

Chainsets aren't particularly fussy.

You can run Shimano brakes with Campag levers but if you try the reverse you'll have no QR facility to open up the calipers for easy wheel removal because Shimano's QR is on the caliper and Campag's on the lever.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You cannot mix right shifters with different brand rear derailleurs because Campagnolo,Shimano and Sram all use different cable pull ratio's.

10 speed left shifters and different brand front derailleurs can be mixed and matched. But not 11 speed.

Also you cannot mix Shimano or Sram 10 speed rear shifting with a 10 speed Campagnolo cassette (or vice versa) because Campagolo's spacing between the cogs is slightly different.

If you want to run Shimano gearing but don't have a Shimano compatible freehub. There may be an exchangeable freehub available for your wheels. Depending on make and model.

Another work around is an Ambrosio cassette that has opposite splines and spacing.
    They sell Shimano splined cassettes with Campagnolo 10 speed spacing.
    and Campagnolo splined cassettes with Shimano 10 speed spacing.
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/387/ambr317/ambrosio-10-speed-cassette.html