Steel road bikes?

JD59
JD59 Posts: 19
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I am looking to get a road bike(probably, still haven't totally ruled out a sports hybrid) . Price range probably maximum £750 ( hoping I can look at around £1k now and await Sales)

I suffer with a weak lower back and also get neck discomfort after a ride. I am drawn towards the genre of ' Sportive' bikes because of their gentler geometry and wider tyre options.

I am advised that a Steel bike would be a good consideration and have come across the Genesis Equilibrium 10 which looks very tempting.

Any comments on this and/or any other Steel candidates?

thanks

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    If your neck is playing up after a ride, it is probably the fit of the bike that is not right. Whilst some of the most comfortable bikes are said to be made from steel, I'd suggest that getting one that fits you correctly would be more important than the material the frame was made from. The biggest impact on comfort, in my opinion, is the tyres, choosing slightly wider tyres and lower pressure can make a huge difference to how you feel at the end of a ride.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, if you are still interested in a Genesis Equilibrium i can thoroughly recommend it.
    Nice relaxed geometry, fairly light weight, decent tyre clearance so can fit 28mm width.
    I find mine very comfortable, a much smoother ride than the 2012 Giant Defy it replaced.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My first bike was an alu frame / carbon fork, and my second a very light all carbon affair, but if I was suddenly rendered bikeless tomorrow I'd be considering an Equilibrium. I'm getting on a bit now, so comfort is a higher priority than lightness or speed, so I think it would tick all my boxes.

Or if you wanted steel for less, Ribble do a cheaper but slightly less sophisticated winter / audax frame which you could build up with components of your choice.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I've an Equilibrium (20 disc). Excellent comfort - but it is properly fitted to me. As said above, neck pain is likely because you're too stretched out. Lower back pain - well strength comes with practice :D and using lower gears.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I am looking to get a road bike(probably, still haven't totally ruled out a sports hybrid) . Price range probably maximum £750 ( hoping I can look at around £1k now and await Sales)

I suffer with a weak lower back and also get neck discomfort after a ride. I am drawn towards the genre of ' Sportive' bikes because of their gentler geometry and wider tyre options.

I am advised that a Steel bike would be a good consideration and have come across the Genesis Equilibrium 10 which looks very tempting.

Any comments on this and/or any other Steel candidates?

thanks

Get a bike fit and then start doing core strength work and stretches – this will help your back and enable you to ride any bike without discomfort