campag shifter/shimano brake

mrushton
mrushton Posts: 5,182
edited July 2015 in Workshop
My Record rear brake (pre skeleton, 10 speed) has failed. It's given me issues for a while. Can I go older Shimano Ultegra (6700) in terms of pull ratio? I know the newer brakes 7800/6800 are different. Never that impressed with single pivot tbh so thought I might put an Ultegra on
M.Rushton

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    What's the trouble with the Campa brake?
    Never seen a brake that failed, whatever brand.
  • mrushton

Single pivot rear, very slow to return. Poss a cable issue however I 'lost ' the tiny bit of plastic that retains one side of the spring.
    M.Rushton
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm guessing it will work, and possibly better than the single pivot one. Might look a bit odd to the purist.

But then again I have Tiagra calipers and mis-matched 105 levers, one black, the other silver. But I also have the smug feeling that comes from fixing a bike using a £26 Ebay shifter rather than £114 for a new set :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I used D/A shifters with Record skeletons for years with absolutely no problems at all (I'm still using the same brakes with Red shifters with no problems).

Only thing to look out for is that when you change wheels you have to let the tyre down as the little lever to open the brakes is on the shifter on Campy but the caliper on Shimano/SRAM but if you're like me and never take your wheels off its no dramas.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrushton
    I'm guessing it will work, and possibly better than the single pivot one. Might look a bit odd to the purist.

But then again I have Tiagra calipers and mis-matched 105 levers, one black, the other silver. But I also have the smug feeling that comes from fixing a bike using a £26 Ebay shifter rather than £114 for a new set :D

People in the TdF have different coloured shoes so you are ahead of the curve and if anybody has time to notice your levers they aren't riding hard enough :D
    M.Rushton
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    My Record rear brake (pre skeleton, 10 speed) has failed. It's given me issues for a while. Can I go older Shimano Ultegra (6700) in terms of pull ratio? I know the newer brakes 7800/6800 are different. Never that impressed with single pivot tbh so thought I might put an Ultegra on

try it, worse case you sell the brake on eBay or return for refund.

i use MTB v brake lever and 6700 brake (which doesn't work apparently) which works great for me. being a rear brake i expect it will be just fine
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322

Single pivot rear, very slow to return. Poss a cable issue however I 'lost ' the tiny bit of plastic that retains one side of the spring.

Probably just seized caused by no maintenance or seized cable.