Specialized Headset/Mindset Minefield

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,170
edited September 2018 in The workshop
I have a 2004 Specialized S-Works E5 Aerotec Frame that I want/need to replace the headset, trouble is I am not sure what I need.

From my research what’s in there at the moment is a Specialized ‘MindSet’ which is kind of like an integrated headset but a bit different in that internal cups are involved. As far as I can tell if I remove everything in the head tube (cups and bearings etc.) I can fit a ‘standard’ headset with the SHIS code IS41. That’s what the Canecreek headset finder thing tells me, i.e. 41 mm OD 36/45 degree and 6.5 mm height.

But it seems that some people have done this and the bearings end up sitting too far in the frame and a spacer is required under the top cover.

Some internet research is throwing up all kinds of conflicting information and I went into the LBS shop at lunch that are a Specialized stockist and they didn’t really know what I was talking which doesn’t fill me with confidence!

Does anyone have any concrete knowledge of what I need and how to go about replacing the headset?

Thanks
Mañana

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I have a 2004 Specialized S-Works E5 Aerotec Frame that I want/need to replace the headset, trouble is I am not sure what I need.

From my research what’s in there at the moment is a Specialized ‘MindSet’ which is kind of like an integrated headset but a bit different in that internal cups are involved. As far as I can tell if I remove everything in the head tube (cups and bearings etc.) I can fit a ‘standard’ headset with the SHIS code IS41. That’s what the Canecreek headset finder thing tells me, i.e. 41 mm OD 36/45 degree and 6.5 mm height.

But it seems that some people have done this and the bearings end up sitting too far in the frame and a spacer is required under the top cover.

Some internet research is throwing up all kinds of conflicting information and I went into the LBS shop at lunch that are a Specialized stockist and they didn’t really know what I was talking which doesn’t fill me with confidence!

Does anyone have any concrete knowledge of what I need and how to go about replacing the headset?

Thanks

No particular advice I am afraid - but I have contacted Specialized and once I penetrated layers of sales I got a techie who could not have been more helpful. This was when I was in the US and I don't have any of the old numbers - but start from one of the shops (covent garden will be closest physically I guess) and be mindlessly optimistic and unfailingly friendly and eventually they will transfer you / pass a number of someone who knows and cares
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Thanks for the reply I guess to be sure it will be best to try and go direct to Specialized...
    Mañana
  • bsb1971
    bsb1971 Posts: 19
    Came across this post, I am in the same boat at the moment. Did you find out what headset you needed - if so, can you tell me what I need to get! Thanks!!
  • You are right about taking out the entire headset assembly and fitting and integrate, we did this alot with old specialized

As long as the bearing fits and the chamfer is the same it's fine, you can use microspacers or even thin headset spacers to build up the gab between the bearing compression ring and the top cap, as long as there is enough of a gap between the top cap and the headtube - so it doesn't bind