One day in the Pyranees

y33stu
y33stu Posts: 376
I've managed to persuade the other half to spend a night in the Pyrenees so that I can climb the Tourmalet. We'll be on a family holiday near Cognac for two weeks, so will be driving down and staying near Lourdes for a night (with a 1 year old in tow)

My question is, as I only have 1 day, and probably no more than 7 hours, which way shall I climb the Tourmalet? The tour this year went North East - South West, going down the hairpins. However, I like the idea of climbing the hairpins, but wondered what others who have climbed it would recommend.

I'm no climber at 14 stone, and this will be my first "proper climb", although I'm confident that I'll get over it either way. I'm going mid August, so also, what should I expect at the top? high winds? colder?

Thanks
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Comments

• morley
    morley Posts: 26
    Are you doing a loop or are they coming to collect? I like the route from St Marie de campan through la mongie. At the other end if they are meeting they could meet you at Luz St saveur, or you could get there and head up to gavernie which is a nice ride to the village and good views of the cirque. If a loop down through Luz, and the valley to argeles, before heading off to Lourdes. That way you could detour to the hautacm if a masochist!
  • morley
    morley Posts: 26
    And the weather at the top is very changeable. I did last years etape in awful weather and saw nothing. Did it the other way 2 days later and it was lovely, but I preferred the St Marie route up...
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    It'll be a circular route, heading out from Lourdes. I'll just be leaning them at the hotel :)

I can either head south from Lourdes, going over the Toumalet west to east, or head east from Lourdes and go the other. I think the Hautacam is definitely off limits this time round!
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers