"Rider X came out of the rest day well"

wallace_and_gromit
wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,060
edited July 2015 in Pro race
We've all heard comments after rest days as to how one rider may have come out of said rest day better than another. I was wondering what this actually means.

Obviously, there is responding to a Contador-style rest day BBQ, but putting aside doping, does this saying have any real meaning?

Is there an optimum type/volume of riding that should be done on a rest day or an optimum diet (maybe higher protein than usual)?

Or do some riders simply recover naturally faster on the rest day than others irrespective of any sensible programme of diet, rest, massage and active recovery?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    We've all heard comments after rest days as to how one rider may have come out of said rest day better than another. I was wondering what this actually means.

Obviously, there is responding to a Contador-style rest day BBQ, but putting aside doping, does this saying have any real meaning?

Is there an optimum type/volume of riding that should be done on a rest day or an optimum diet (maybe higher protein than usual)?

Or do some riders simply recover naturally faster on the rest day than others irrespective of any sensible programme of diet, rest, massage and active recovery?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

TJvG didn't!

I have had it on cycling holidays feeling really good and strong - with no need for a rest day; but you have a day on the beach and the next ride is impossible. You seem to reach a plateau and the rest day puts you below that level and you need to re-establish the power in your legs