Toe Spikes / Studs

2plus2
2plus2 Posts: 53
edited July 2015 in Cyclocross
Think I'll get some this year since I was sliding around quite a lot training on a run up the other day. What do people use, where to buy? Just standard football / rugby ones or are speciality cross ones available or better?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    You can get dedicated CX studs, but most people (myself included) just use football/rugby studs. They're pretty cheap in Sports Direct.

The tools supplied with studs don't work very well on some cycling shoes; the tread gets in the way. I just use a pair of mole grips. I still lose the occasional stud, so worth having a few spares in your toolbox.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    The SIDI ones are thinner and longer than football studs. They make a difference in real gloop, as they find purchase underneath, but because they protrude so far out they can cause problems when running on hard surfaces. I broke stud anchors when transitioning from mud onto tarmac before, which admittedly doesn't happen very often, but the big run up at Peel Park is one such place. Ironically, it's also the one place you really do need the longer studs as the long run up is really steep and slippery and you can lose a lot of time on it.