340 Grams weight- Significant?

2»

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    I don't get to scientific with my riding but I've recently changed bike with 40mm Carbon rims with disc brakes.

I've lost about 500 grams and I've noticed they spin up quicker and roll much more effeciently. How much this is down to the wheels or tyres I haven't a clue but the net effect is a positive one.

Oh and they look the DB's and when I look at the wheels they make me smile. Sad. I know.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 85
    If you are moving from 23 to 25 tyres you will notice the (beneficial) difference in ride and smoothness, and into the bargain will get less rolling resistance - which between those two Conti tyres is material - maybe 3-5W per wheel.

The weight? Yes it's the best place to remove weight on the bike, but as all have said, (proper) training is even better for performance. Using TrainerRoad raised my FTP by 10-15W over 6 months.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Take the front wheel off the bike, Hold the front wheel out in front of you. Spin it up.
    Hold a Ksyrium out in front of you. Spin it up.
    Do you notice any significant difference?

In terms of average speed over a course IME spoke count and rim profile of a wheel will make more of an impact than weight. Light wheels are nice to have as they feel a bit more sprightly.
    However, Ksyriums are really good wheels in that IME they look good, feel sprightly, they're stiff, and will last ages.
    Downsides are proprietary parts. A lot of shops carry Mavic so it's not too bad.

I'd suggest getting the tyres now, see how that goes as that it the biggest change to how a bike rides after having a good fit and the right saddle and bars.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I went from R500's to a set of handbuilts with decent hubs. I changed the tyres from ultra sports to 4000s. I got up the climbs a little better. I went a bit quicker. but not much.

what I then did was trained and then went a fair bit quicker up hill. so much so that I put the old R500's on the bike after 3 months of cycling and did a hill a lot quicker than I did when relatively untrained. its all about getting stronger and fitter I'd say though as others have said, aero/ fewer spokes / lightweight all helps.

good luck.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Having just ditched the standard rims on my carerra, which were IRO 2.2kg for a pair of Icon Ultra 30s which are 1.5kg, i have noticed that no i don't go any faster but can feel that they are a much much better wheelset. As in i can accelerate faster and when putting the power down they don't seem to flex (not sure if that was in my head or not) but they definitely feel more solid.

So no you may not go faster but they will feel considerably better.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Surely if the snake oil makes you feel better then it's possible that you will go faster and you will enjoy it more.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.