Wheel upgrade but which ones?????

Lempod
Lempod Posts: 90
edited July 2015 in Cyclocross
It's a case of Tubulars or Tubeless???
Choice has come down to either these.....
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXCX38DISC/planet-x-cyclocross-disc-and-canti-pro-carbon-38-38-700c-tubular-wheelset
or I have been quoted £450 for a pair of Stans Grail rims on Hope Pro2 hubs.

Anybody got any views on these or have any experience using them???
Thanks. :)

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Tubular for racing, tubeless if you want one wheelset to use all the time.
    I've just got Alu tubs, too lazy to mess around changing pads when I want to put the racing wheels on and the braking will be better :lol:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    How good are you? Tubeless if you're awesome. Tubeless if you're ok and fancy changing tyres now and again and doing commuting and recreational stuff.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you're troubling the top 10 at local league level you'll feel the benefit of tubulars, especially when it's muddy. You don't want to be training on tubs though.
    One option would be to get a pair of tub wheels with mud tyres, and then use your existing wheels for drier conditions and training. If you subsequently want to spend more money on wheels, get another set of tub wheels with intermediate tyres.
    In general, for a given budget, it's more useful to have a variety of cheap wheels than to have a limited selection of fancy ones. Wheels aren't actually that important, but tyres are...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    In general, for a given budget, it's more useful to have a variety of cheap wheels than to have a limited selection of fancy ones. Wheels aren't actually that important, but tyres are...

Interesting comment - and one that makes sense. :D

I'm looking to do a similar thing, i.e. running 2 sets of tyres and the more I look at it - the more I want to get a cheap set of disc wheels to do that.

so without a complete thread hijack,
    Whats the best option for wheels around/under £100 that will run 11 speed shimano/sram hubs and 6 bolt disc rotors?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Whats the best option for wheels around/under £100 that will run 11 speed shimano/sram hubs and 6 bolt disc rotors?
    Tricky - I'm tempted to say whatever you can get second-hand.
    I have a pair I built from Mavic Reflex rims and Novatec D711/712 hubs which came out a shade under £200 (and ~1500-1600g I think). Those are all components that are tried and tested in CX racing. To get much below that you'd have to start looking at either second-hand components, or components with less of a track record. I'm sure there are other options out there, but I can't advise on what they are. You don't need bombproof wheel builds in the way you presumably do for MTBing, but you do want hubs that will be reliable in a muddy environment, and that are easy to service when the bearings inevitably die. I probably do 20-25 races a season on 3 sets of wheels, plus training on another set (all with the Novatec hubs above), and I probably have to replace a total of 3 sets of bearings a season.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Lempod
    Lempod Posts: 90
    Thanks everybody for your replies.
    I went into my LBS yesterday and asked the owners opinion and he said I should stay clear of any Planet X product! (I don't think he's a fan!!) He said that he has worked on a few Planet X wheels and they seems a little 'pants'!
    Anyway I have now also been looking at the Kinesis Crosslight Disc V3, they seem to be at a decent price are lightish for CX disc wheels. Any views on them???
  • slow bloke
    slow bloke Posts: 14
    No idea on the kinesis but I got handuilts, Aileron rims on shimano deore xt hubs, worked out at about £300 ish. Run them tubless with no problems and the rims have stood up to a fair amount of punishment and my 90kgs