Route help needed from SE England hill climberists.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
My local 'top 100 climb' is Steyning bostal.
Being a Sussex lad, I'm no stranger to Ditchling Beacon.
I recently rode through Ashdown Forest to Forest Row and looped back for The Wall.

I'm sure you're ahead of me already, but here goes:-

I'd like to attempt a ride incorporating those 3 plus York's and Toys Hills.

Ideally going up from Forest Row and coming back on top of Hartfield.
Other than not knowing where I'm going, my problem is both 'Top 100 climbs' seem to run roughly south to north.

Is there a route (preferably already posted on Strava) that takes in both new climbs but without me having to go down one before turning and riding up it.

Ta muchly.

Comments

• deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ..don't know of a detailed route ( I'd just use a map!), but if you want to do Toys and York Hills without having to descend either in between , just drop down Ide Hill...its a better surface too ...
    ..if you wanted a longer run between the hills, head over towards Sevenoaks Weald and there are loads of drops of varying quality either side of the A21.
  • PostieJohn
    ..don't know of a detailed route ( I'd just use a map!), but if you want to do Toys and York Hills without having to descend either in between , just drop down Ide Hill...its a better surface too ...
    ..if you wanted a longer run between the hills, head over towards Sevenoaks Weald and there are loads of drops of varying quality either side of the A21.
    Oh I want to tick off these specific climbs from the 100.

But as they run parallel and the 100 has them both as south to north, I was hoping there was a little circular 'cheat' that gets from the top of one, to the bottom of the other without doubling up.

I'll use one of those new fangled map things, you speak of, to sort out the rest of the route!!
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ...indeed, that would be Ide Hill, it sits in the middle of the two!....do Yorks first, turn left, drop down Ide Hill, turn right and your on the road back up to Toys Hill...
  • PostieJohn
    Ahh I now see why I was confused.
    I thought Ide Hill Road was the York's Hill climb (don't ask and I'm not even blond)
    That doesn't bode well, does it?

I've now got so many strava windows open I've finally pieced it together.

Thanks for your patience.
  • PostieJohn
    Well I did it, last Sunday.
    5 of the top 100 climbs, 140 miles.

I lost my directional bottle between Toy's and Yorks, mainly because there were so many cyclists on the road, and ALL of the were going the other way!
    I was surprised so few other roadies knew the Yorks climb, esp as we were right on it, so extra thanks to the 3 chaps at the cafe who did know their stuff.

One thing though.
    I moan about West Sussex roads, but quite how you Kentish folk put up with the quality of your crater strewn third world tracks, I'll never know.
    You must be buying news tubes on a weekly basis.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    The road to the bottom of Yorks Hill is particularly bad, and as it's tucked away (and rather steep), I'm not surprised that few people know it, whether locals or cyclists.

If you like that kind of hill though, you have Whites Lane not too far to the west, which is home of the Bec Hill climb, and Brasted hill, which isn't used so much now but has been in the past (great Pathe fill here - http://www.britishpathe.com/video/37th-annual-hill-climb-championship).

Both are short and very steep, although I think only Whites Lane is in the 100 (or maybe the 2nd edition).
  • PostieJohn
    The road to the bottom of Yorks Hill is particularly bad, and as it's tucked away (and rather steep), I'm not surprised that few people know it, whether locals or cyclists.

If you like that kind of hill though, you have Whites Lane not too far to the west, which is home of the Bec Hill climb, and Brasted hill, which isn't used so much now but has been in the past (great Pathe fill here - http://www.britishpathe.com/video/37th-annual-hill-climb-championship).

Both are short and very steep, although I think only Whites Lane is in the 100 (or maybe the 2nd edition).
    Oh wow.

I wasn't sure about writing such a 'me me me' post, but it was worth it for that footage.
    I love it, and will frequently lose a few hours on youtube with such footage, and have repeatedly missed that one.

Thanks for posting.