A creaking frame.....

San Marzano
San Marzano Posts: 132
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I’m wondering if anyone has had the same problem.

As soon as I stand to increase power on a hill then the frame starts to ‘tick’. Sit back down and the ticking stops.

The frame is titanium; I weigh 74KG; it didn’t creak when I first got it which is making me think it’s the bottom bracket as opposed to ‘frame creak’……….

Any thoughts?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Could be lots of things (search the site for similar posts).

After dismantling cranks and changing bottom bracket I ended up tracking mine down to the seat post. Bits of anti-slip grease and a torque wrench to do it up properly, the squeak has gone :-)
  • San Marzano
    Thanks for that - I need to stick it on the turbo and get somebody else to listen as I pedal - could be the seat post but it worsens as I stand up effectively taking any load off the sadle!
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I'm with "craker" first thing to eliminate is the seatpost, strip / clean / grease or anti slip.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It is hopefully not this, but plenty of ti frames fail, particularly around the bottom bracket. Look at all the welds and see if there is any sign of cracking.

Stupid stuff like wheel skewers etc. can creak - just check everything and nip things tight if there's any sign of looseness etc.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Have you checked the headset and the bolts that hold the bars to the stem?

Friend had something similar, it sounded worse when out the saddle because you put more weight on the bars. Turned out it was just a little loose.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As above, plus check cleats as well.

Essentially use it as a really poor excuse to do any domestic chores and to put the bike on the workstand, get some fresh coffee going in the moka pot and start taking apart, inspecting, cleaning, greasing and reassembling.

Therapeutic, educational, will take a few hours but good fun and should solve your problem.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • San Marzano
    Thank you all for your replies.

A fellow cyclist / mechanic had a look / listen and ‘we’ narrowed the problem down to being one of the bolts that secures the bottle cage to the down tube.

The bolt was cross threaded, each type I stood up the frame flexed and the bolt moved causing the clicking noise. Took the bolt out, rethreaded it and …….complete silence.