Upgrading stock wheelset

jimmyt-11
jimmyt-11 Posts: 119
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I currently have a 2012 GT GTR Series 1 road bike:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/gtr-series-1-compact-2012-road-bike-ec030583

Rims: Alex ALX 289R, 20 Hole
Front Hub: Alex ALX 289R 20 Hole Sealed Bearing
Rear Hub: Alex ALX 289R 24 Hole Sealed Bearing
Spokes: DT Swiss Stainless

I am thinking of shifting these to a vintage Rayleigh bike I've just bought and upgrading these.

I don't really want to spend much money on them. Maybe £60 to £70?
Is that budget going to be an upgrade?

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I currently have a 2012 GT GTR Series 1 road bike:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/gtr-series-1-compact-2012-road-bike-ec030583

Rims: Alex ALX 289R, 20 Hole
    Front Hub: Alex ALX 289R 20 Hole Sealed Bearing
    Rear Hub: Alex ALX 289R 24 Hole Sealed Bearing
    Spokes: DT Swiss Stainless

I am thinking of shifting these to a vintage Rayleigh bike I've just bought and upgrading these.

I don't really want to spend much money on them. Maybe £60 to £70?
    Is that budget going to be an upgrade?

Thanks

Not buying new, no. I'd have thought you need to be spending £200 at least to see a difference. At £300+ you're into the realms of handbuilt wheels too. Much depends on what you're expecting from your upgrade.

Significantly lighter generally means spending quite a lot, and sometimes it's at the expense of durability (less metal in the rim and / or the hub, smaller bearings)

Proper aero benefits also generally cost a lot if they involve carbon, or result in a harsh wheel if it's a deep section alu rim.

Wider rims are gaining in popularity for the increased stability in corners because of the better tyre profile; wider shouldn't neccessarily mean dearer.

You might find a decent used pair in the classifieds on here for similar money. Think I saw some RS11's yesterday actually.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've got a set of Planet X AL30's I'd sell for £85 posted. Used obviously (about 2000 miles) but just been trued up and checked over by a bike shop and all ok.
  • jimmyt-11
    so I guess my budget isn't going to stretch to upgrade my road bike.
    in that case I will look at new wheels for the Raleigh I think. Im looking to turn it into a single speed, do I need specific single speed wheels or can I just buy any wheels?

thanks
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    so I guess my budget isn't going to stretch to upgrade my road bike.
    in that case I will look at new wheels for the Raleigh I think. Im looking to turn it into a single speed, do I need specific single speed wheels or can I just buy any wheels?

thanks

Depends if you want it to be fixed wheel or single speed, for fixed you will need to buy a specific wheels set with the same type of hub as you would find on a track bike, make sure you also check the rear spacing as well as older bikes have a different spacing between the drop outs than newer bikes so a different spaced hub would be required.

For single speed, you can do it with a normal wheelset, however you may as well be riding normal geared bike INO if you do that.

Ultimately if you want a single speed, get a wheelset with a track style rear hub and attach a screw on fixed gear cog or a screw on single freewheel, whichever you go for make sure you get the chain line straight or it will give you problems.
    You will need specific wheels to do it properly
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • jimmyt-11
    Can you recommend something cheap? I woild want to go down the single speed route rather than fixed.
  • jimmyt-11
    I just managed to get a 700c Mavic Aksium Race front wheel for £17 used. I'm hoping its going to be decent condition as advertised.

now I just need to source a rear wheel