Campag 10 speed Shifter problem.

ned_wills
ned_wills Posts: 91
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I am the proud owner of a pair of 2007 Campag Centaur 10 speed shifters ( the old type). They have done about 10,000 miles. Recently I up graded to the new (after 2008 type) and moved the shifters in question to a winter bike. Since the move, the right shifter will shift the rear mech into the lower (easier) gears and they hold there OK but when I activate the thumb shifter in all but the first three gears it immediately shifts straight back to the highest (hardest) gear. Do I need to renew the G springs? Or is it something else.

Comments

• Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I have exactly the same problem with my Athena shifters, which have about 15000 miles on the clock so i'll watch this thread with interest.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    "Upgrading" from 2007 Ergo's was a bad idea because the older models can easily be repaired and the Escape models cannot.
    When the plastic ratched ring is worn out the only solution is buying a new mechanism> new shifter.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Is it the old 2007 lever that has the problem - or the new one?

If its' the new one - is it a pre-2011 ultra-shift version (thumb is still a lever) or the post 2011 power-shift version (thumb button - one cog at a time)?

Steve
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    "Upgrading" from 2007 Ergo's was a bad idea because the older models can easily be repaired and the Escape models cannot.
    When the plastic ratched ring is worn out the only solution is buying a new mechanism> new shifter.

Not quite true. The plastic ratchet ring on my 2010 Centaur wore/broke so the LBS sent it off to the UK distributor (IRide) and back it came freshly serviced and with new ratchet ring.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221

Not quite true. The plastic ratchet ring on my 2010 Centaur wore/broke so the LBS sent it off to the UK distributor (IRide) and back it came freshly serviced and with new ratchet ring.

Up to 2010, all new-shape levers were ultrashift and could be serviced. Sine 2011, Veloce, Centaur and Athena are 'Poweshift' which you can't readily get spare parts from (other than the main body component, levers and hoods). If the gears start skipping on a powershift/escape model, it's because the plastic ratchet is worn and the whole body needs replacing.

If it's skipping on a pre-2008 model or an ultrashift model, then spares are available to replace the ratchets etc.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322

You're very lucky, because i've never heard anybody succeded buying a ratched.
  • ned_wills
    ned_wills Posts: 91
    It is the pre 2008 shifter that is giving problems. Thanks for the feed back so far folks.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I had a similar problem. My shifter was the escape type. I pulled it apart and found a tiny spring broken. This spring pushed the hinged pawl onto the sachet. The spring is not available from campag so after a bit of carefull measuring and searching online I found some that did the job. The shifter is no use as it is so pull it apart. Look on you tube.