Suntour XCT vs RockShox Reba RL

povilasand
povilasand Posts: 12
edited August 2015 in MTB beginners
Today I have rented a bike close to my local trail to find out if I will like this sport.
It was really great experience and I think I am ready to buy a bike I was looking into.
However, now I am wondering how better a higher end bike feels like?

I have rented a Cannodale Trail 6 which I assume has very entry level components. Especially the fork: Suntour XCT.
I am planning to buy Radon ZR Team 8.0 which has RS Reba RL. So my question is how much BETTER I will feel riding a bike with the components of Radon compared to given Cannodale?

While I was going declines this bike handlebars were jumping a lot and it was very uncomfortable to pedal faster thus I had to slow down. Does better fork makes it more pleasant and comfortable?
How about other components?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    The fork will make a massive difference in the way the bike rides afterall its job is to absorb the impacts of the terrain. How effectively will depend on which fork you choose, the reba is miles ahead compared to the xct.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The XCT is a travesty of a fork, the Reba a very good one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Great spec on the Raidon.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Suntour XCT is an awful piece of ultra heavy crap. The Rockshox Reba is really very good.
    The Rockshox fork is far more adjustable, much more controlled, much lighter and much more reliable. Even a complete beginner would notice a HUGE difference. It's not the sort of thing you would have to be a pro rider to notice.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XCT is heavy, many have no damping at all (a few do), they suffer a lot of stiction as well meaning they need a good jolt before they do anything at all, the Reba is roughly equivalent to the Suntour Epicon, which is 4 models better than the XCT (XCT -> XCM -> XCR -> Raidon -> Epicon), you have proper damping for both bump and rebound and it is independently adjustable, you can adjust spring rate (as it's an air spring) rather than just preload, its not only lighter (by about 0.5-0.75Kg) but more importantly the unsprung mass is reduced giving the suspension less to control so it can keep the tyre in contact with the ground better. You'd have to be riding on a velodrome to not notice an improvement!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have a reba on my +£2k bike and it doesn't feel out of place. When you progress in your riding it can be fitted with 'bottomless tokens' which will bring out its true potential.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • m00nbadger
    m00nbadger Posts: 53
    ^ caveman can you expand on the use of bottomless tokens - have read bits about it but not quite sure how it works and what the advantage is - got a 100mm Reba onmy bike and would like to know if its likely worthwhile looking into in the future if theres a performance gain
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    ^ caveman can you expand on the use of bottomless tokens - have read bits about it but not quite sure how it works and what the advantage is - got a 100mm Reba onmy bike and would like to know if its likely worthwhile looking into in the future if theres a performance gain

They essentially allow you to run lower pressure to improve small bump compliance whilst reducing brake dive and bottoming out by reducing air volume. They only work on the solo air forks and unless you have a 2015 fork you'll need a new top cap too. Biggest problem is availability, I spoke to TF Tuned yesterday and the UK distributor doesn't have any plus currently no date on when they will.
  • The Rookie
    They work by reducing the volume of the air spring, so that as the forks compress the air pressure rises faster, so you get the same sag for a lower initial pressure. I understand they can be used on the older Dual air forks as well.

You could get the same effect by putting anything in the air spring side that took out a load of volume, or by fitting a longer air spring shaft.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Or by fitting a longer air spring shaft.

Not sure how well that would work with the new solo air system, as a minimum it would increase the travel.
  • The Rookie
    Not with the right rebound stops it wouldn't....
  • ^ caveman can you expand on the use of bottomless tokens - have read bits about it but not quite sure how it works and what the advantage is - got a 100mm Reba onmy bike and would like to know if its likely worthwhile looking into in the future if theres a performance gain

They essentially allow you to run lower pressure to improve small bump compliance whilst reducing brake dive and bottoming out by reducing air volume. They only work on the solo air forks and unless you have a 2015 fork you'll need a new top cap too. Biggest problem is availability, I spoke to TF Tuned yesterday and the UK distributor doesn't have any plus currently no date on when they will.

I got mine from ebay (topcap included) via the U.S. Delivery was almost as much as the parts. I have a '14 reba and it came with a threaded topcap, so it's worth checking.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • m00nbadger
    m00nbadger Posts: 53
    ive got the same ('14 reba w/threaded topcap) so will definitely be looking into doing this - thanks guys
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    How can you tell the difference between a 14 Reba and a 15 Reba? Fork came with a 2015 (January) Canyon Nerve.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Antm81
    edited August 2015
    Let the pressure out and using a 24mm socket unscrew the top cap on the ring side, if it's a 2015 fork it will either have bottomless tokens already installed or the bottom of the top cap will be threaded to accept them (seoerate thread to the one to screw the cap to the crown)
  • The Rookie
    bottomless teens already installed
    Is that human trafficking?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Ta!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I've actually just made this exact same upgrade. Definitely a big improvement. Bike feels lighter and front end handles better. The forks themselves absorb impact extremely well - A bit like riding a different bike..

I'd heard mixed reviews about the remote lockout, but it seems to be pretty good. Makes climbing on the flat far more stable...

I would highly recommended anyone running one of the low end Suntour's to upgrade!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)