grumbling freehub

cirian75
cirian75 Posts: 95
edited July 2015 in Workshop
My no name freehub on my 9 speed 2010 specialized allez is grumbling

Mate did not have the tool to get that far into it, he's had the cassette and main bearings out

He needed a big torx head to get the freehub off, he didn't have one

so he pumped a load of GT85 in, let the excess drip out, and the re-greased and the bearings and put back together, was ok for half a ride, then it came back.

I have 4 options

1- Take it to someone with the tools and know how and hope it just needs a clean and service.

2- replace freehub (but there is no info on the hub what it is)

3- replace the whole hub = wheel rebuild

4- just a buy a new wheel/wheel set.
Pinnacle Neon 3 2017

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your local spesh dealer will have them in stock.

not really a servceable part. unlikely to have really been a torx fitting but a 12 point allen key fitting that works just fine woth a standard allen key. maybe 7/16" (11mm).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's a Shimano type freehub it takes a 10mm hex key to undo the tubular nut which secures it. Unless you're really determined the only real servicing involves picking out the seal and dribbling oil into the bearings / pawls.

I don't think your mate did you any favours blasting it with GT85 TBH; he may have washed out the final traces of lubricant...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you can get the freehub body off you can sometimes resurrect them by immersing them in warm oil and giving them a good spin...wear nitrile rubber gloves though. I've had another year or two out of a few freehubs this way.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}