Best tag-along for an 7/8 year old for longer rides

Nomad2
Nomad2 Posts: 15
edited December 2015 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi,
We have a 7 year old who I currently tow along on a WeeHoo igo for longer rides (he sometimes pedals too). This has been good. Later on this year we will be going on our third Great Victorian Bike ride (7 days riding on average about 80km each day supported). Whilst I could keep him in the Weehoo, our 4 year old is off his training wheels and over the idea of a trailer. Having experienced two Great Vics in the trailer (and being 95th percentile for height) he's coming out of the trailer and that's that. The problem I have is that we can't just get another Weehoo (unless there's a workaround) as my wife's bike has too short a seat tube to allow the weehoo to clear the rear wheel (27.5 inch). I'm looking for ideas on what to do. Stability is important, even more so for my wife, so something like the Burley Piccolo might be an option, or some other tag along or tandem (though that seems like a very expensive way to go. Interested in other people's experiences and suggestions :)

thanks

Alan

Comments

• Nomad2
    I would have thought a Adam's tagalong would suffice for this rather than a sit back style seat it has a standard saddle. Used one for mine when they where younger for longer single day rides but not multi day trips, might be worth looking at tandems as well.

Yes, the Adams may suffice, I note that they also have the option of a seat back. Might be useful on longer rides.... For this type will need to employ some sort of spacer to ensure the mounting point sits higher on the seat post. Otherwise the arm will clash with my wife's bike's rear wheel. The stability of the Weehoo igp was pretty good with the movement of the child more noticeable on steeper climbs. Quite fine for me but my wife might find this more challenging. I'd be interested in hearing what that aspect is like on something like the Adams trailer versus something like the Burley Piccolo.

Tandems have some advantages, particularly the 20 inch ones in terms of their versatility, but the down side seems to be that the child's feet have to pedal at the same rate as the parent unless I'm mistaken. Not an issue for a trip around the block, but after 100km???
  • Has anyone good experiences with a tow bar for the bike of a 7 year old? I would love the idea to pull my son into the country side and then on a calm bicycle lane he could carry on on his own. Does this work in real life?
  • Oxoman, Thank you very much for your feedback! So I would go for a tag-along rather than for a trail gator bar / tow bar then. Can't wait to see whether my son likes it. So far he is used to ride his balance bike without pedals.
  • Oxoman in the meanwhile my son has replaced his balance bike with a proper bike with pedals. As he was used to ride the balance bike it took him literally less than 10 minutes to "learn" to ride the bike with pedals. But my question regarding a tag-along had a different background. I consider to do the school run by bike and on that particular street we would need to ride it would be too dangerous for my son to ride his own bike even so he is able to ride it.
  • Used one for my own when they where young for more time individual day visits but not multiple day visits, might be value looking at tandems as well.
  • Nomad2
    Well, the Great Victorian Bike Ride is over for another year. 500 kms in 7 riding days and a lot of fun. Ended up continuing with the same gear as the last 2 years. Our 8 year old on the weeHoo behind me and our 5 year old in a chariot trailer behind my wife (after last year he was wanting the weather protection). Our kids are insisting we go next year....

Now for next year our eldest will be nine and will definitely not fit in the weeHoo and will be too young to ride solo. Are there any tag alongs suitable for a child over 30kgs or do I need to go for a tandem. I'm a bit wary about tandems because of cost and transport issues. At one point I did see someone with some kind of towbar connection to a larger child's bike (not the trailgator) where the child's front wheel stayed on the ground. Wasn't able to find them later to ask what it was. Our youngest will inherit the weeHoo now that we have solved our connection issues... Any suggestions for towing our eldest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alan