£2000 bike? Top ends £2500

2brflow
2brflow Posts: 6
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have a budget of £2000 top ends £2500.

Needing upgrade on bike after 5-6 years of use off a £300 bike. Also feeling that I am too fast for my old bike. Decided to upgrade on the use of friends bike and it went great.

Pushing towards ironman triathlons(Ironman France). I don't want a TT bike as I find it ruins the fun out of cycling also I do a lot of climbs on my road bike. So I am looking for a bike that is nifty on corners on decents and great for climbs. The wheels are not to big an issue so I don't mind having cheap wheels on the bike as I can look into upgrading them in the future.

Prefibly a carbon frame with Shimano Ultegra I would think? :shock:

Any advice on a bike?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It's all personal preference isn't it? At that price point you aren't really going to get anything bad.

If I had that cash to spend on a new bike from scratch my first thought would be this https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-9-0-sl.html
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    At your budget you could sneak in the Rose Xlite Team, with Ultegra Di2 and Mavic Ksyrium SLSs. Claimed weight of 6.4kg and, if my significantly cheaper and heavier Xeon CRS is anything to go by, will be an awesome climbing bike.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod framesets might be worth a look, you can get them under £1200 if you can find one in your size and the geometry suits. You'd build that up with Ultegra for your budget and get some half decent wheels too. Proven frame.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    All good suggestions above. Canyon + Rose great vfm, however, if you have issues with the Mavic wheels -broken spokes and the like then it can be an expensive job getting it fixed.
    The Cannondale frame is going to be discounted due to the new iteration of the frame coming out - this makes the frame good value. I do not think that Ultegra is so much better than 105, thus I would go for 105 and put more of the budget towards a set of wheels and tyres - you have choice between hand built and factory built, the choice between the two is another discussion. With regards to tyres you can't go wrong with the best offerings from Continental, Michelin, Vittoria, Schwalbe etc - though choice of tyres is another long discussion.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    The BMC Teammachine is a very tidy bike with the 105 version at about £1750 at the moment- I would avoid the Ultegra version though as it's cheaper to just buy the 105 bike and Ultegra seperately, and then you save money as well as gain an extra groupset.

The Venge isn't a bad option as well for the aero gains, although it is very important that you remember that position on the bike is far more important than aero profiles- so make sure you get the geometry right! That's where the BMC has an advantage as they are exactly the same moulds as the Pros race on, so you can get relatively long and low if you want to. Always double check with a bike fit though, and a test of the bike if you can!
  • Hi 2brflow, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but I'm finding myself in exactly the same position. I'm looking to spend around the same as you, with 2500 being the absolute absolute top end. In fact my car's only worth a grand so it seems a bit nuts I'm considering dropping that much dough on a bike !! Anyway.

Here's my list. First one being the Canyon Markhewitt1978 mentioned below. Seems like cracking value. I was riding a bike with Sram Force last weekend and as a Shimano user normally, I think I may have even preferred it ...

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-9-0-sl.html

Or.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-slx-8-0.html

Can anyone tell me if the CF SLX is really any better than the Ultimate CF SL 9.0 ? It does have those Exalith wheels though which are smart.

Second being the BMC SLR02 that Iron-Clover mentioned.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/teammachine-slr02-105-2015-road-bike-ec071732#BVRRWidgetID

Evans has this reduced to 1600£ for the 105 version now too and if you was to buy outright and used Quidco you can get 5% cashback too, making it around 1520£. Also he has a point saying not much point getting the Ultegra version. Hadn't really thought of that if I'm honest.

Another one that's come down to a what looks to be a fantastic price is the Trek Emonda SL6 at Evans. Now I've never had a Trek and they've not really ever appealed to me (more a Cannondale man), but I do like the look of this I have to say .. Matt black obviously !! Anyone got one ?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/emonda-sl-6-2015-road-bike-ec068066

Finally I like the look of this Storck Visioner. These look like sweet bikes.

http://www.storck-bicycle.cc/road-bikes/visioner-c-g2-2015

Sorry again to hijack bud. BTW, what do people think ? Is now a good time to buy with the 2016 models coming out soon or would it pay to wait a bit longer ? Any advice appreciated.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The storck bike has a very aggressive fit - a lot of reach for its stack values across the sizes. Royles has 25% of its bikes at the moment and a discount code of an extra 10% off (BIKEX10).
    If you are interested in Triathlon then the Boardman bikes are a good choice (Brownlee Brothers ride Boardman bikes I believe)
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Lots of great bikes out there for £2000 - £2500, but if I were in your shoes (any will be next year) the first thing I would do before parting with any cash is get a bike fit and use that to determine what bike you should get, after all you could end up paying £2500 for something that doesn't fit your proportions which could lead to all manner of problems.

A decent bike fit will be between £80 - £150 and will be the best money you will spend when buying a new bike.

That said, if you are very confident in what size you need and how to fit it to you for optimum power and efficiency and comfort (after all you will be putting a lot of miles in training for IM France) then as others have said you wont get a bad bike at that price point, especially from the big bike companies. However a couple of members of my cycling club have Canyons and for the money they look the business and are very well specd
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!