Fizik saddle, hurting?

PLuKE
PLuKE Posts: 181
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I am sure this had been covered many times.

I currently have a Fizik Antares R1 saddle, I run 23c Schwable One around 100psi. But finding this saddle is just killing me after 30-50miles. I have a pair of Castelli bibs which helped, but once my sit bones start aching my performances drops off. I have had this saddle for 10months now.

I do tend to be more forwards on the saddle, the saddle is pretty far forwards on the rails anyway.

I know saddles are a personal thing, but if the Fizik doesn't sit well with me, what else is there that isn't Fizik shape/style?
2013 Merida Ride 93 Carbon

Comments

• carchie86
    carchie86 Posts: 32
    My Giant TCR came with a Fizik Arione saddle which I don't find particularly comfortable either after similar distances. The cheap Bontrager saddle that came on my first road bike (an alloy Trek) is much more comfortable, so much so I think I may switch them over.

A bike shop I recently visited in Durham had a full range of test saddles from Fizik and some other brands which they allowed people to try out on their bikes. You might want to check to see if there is a bike shop near you that stocks some test saddles so you can try out a few different options to see if there is anything better suited to you.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Is it level? Even then if it is try an ever so slight upward tilt but still pretty much level, you might be surprised how an ever so slight tilt change will change things before you give up on it. Worth a shot.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    As per the above, I use an Antares with a 3 degree upward tilt. Allows me to sit IN the saddle, not ON it.

However. Everyone is different. You may have the wrong saddle for your shape, or it could be in the wrong position. Think also that your level/bars position will affect how you sit too. You say your saddle is quite far forward, why is that? Remember you should never ever move your saddle forward to compensate for a reach problem and ignore anyone who recommends you do.

If you want to try something else, the Arione or Aliante are totally different shapes. You can go to the Fizik website and use there calculator thingy to answer a few questions about your flexibility and have a saddle recommended. I did, I ended up with an Antares and I now won't ride anything else.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • PLuKE
    I have tried the saddle level, tilted. Level I found was the best way.

The reach to the bars is fine, I like to sit over the BB hence why the saddle is at a more forward position, the seatpost has a setback to it.

Luke
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I had the same issue - this saddle absolutely killed me.

It obviously wasnt right for my behind so sold it and replaced with a trusty Charge Spoon which is perfect
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I have been riding on an Arione VSX, and have given up on it. The groove is great, but it numbs my sitbones very quickly. There was no way to sit on it that didn't hurt. Keep in mind, that it is narrow, so that might have something to do with it.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Running 23 tyres @ 100psi is going to be uncomfortable, never mind sitting forward on the nose of the saddle. The fact that you have the saddle forward on the rails sounds more like a fundamental problem with bike fit rather than simply swapping saddles - you need to try and get your weight over your sit bones on the back of the saddle
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • PLuKE
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Running 23 tyres @ 100psi is going to be uncomfortable, never mind sitting forward on the nose of the saddle. The fact that you have the saddle forward on the rails sounds more like a fundamental problem with bike fit rather than simply swapping saddles - you need to try and get your weight over your sit bones on the back of the saddle

What pressures would you recommend? I am 11st/70kg

I just find myself more towards the nose than on the nose itself, maybe I worded it wrong.

Thanks guys

Luke
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not used Schwalbe road tyres but I ride Contis at 90 PSI for 23mm but I'm 81kg.

You could take a bit of air out and see how it goes, or maybe try 25mm ? All the rage nowadays. Helps with the crappy UK roads too.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I have been riding on an Arione VSX, and have given up on it. The groove is great, but it numbs my sitbones very quickly. There was no way to sit on it that didn't hurt. Keep in mind, that it is narrow, so that might have something to do with it.

Ime the VSX versions are really uncomfortable, the padding is thick to allow for the channel, but it's soft and not supportive at all. I sold my Antares VSX after a week, then replaced it with a normal Antares and that was perfect. I've done 6hr rides with no discomfort.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795

Ime the VSX versions are really uncomfortable, the padding is thick to allow for the channel, but it's soft and not supportive at all. I sold my Antares VSX after a week, then replaced it with a normal Antares and that was perfect. I've done 6hr rides with no discomfort.

I agree, I had an regular Arione but was getting some aches and felt I needed a bit more width and a cut out or channel, so tried the Antares VSX...it was so uncomfortable and I also returned it after a week. I went for a saddle fitting and ended up with a Selle Italia Novus Flow. That combined with some new shorts and I've never been more comfortable.