Fox Float RP2

Girth
Girth Posts: 148
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I need some help with my Fox Float RP2.
I was low on pressure so added some air, removed the pump, job done. Gave it a quick ride and the shock lost all air as soon as it took any weight. I figured i had loosed the valve when removing the pump. I got a valve tool to tighten it up, but i could see the top of the valve body had been broken. I either had broken the top of the valve main body with the shock pump or it has broken earlier at some point.
So, i have nothing on the top of the main valve body for the valve tool to purchase onto. I grabbed some nose pliers, figuring my only hope was gripping the valve pin and trying to unscrew it and pull it out, that failed, the end of the pin actually broke off.
So, i am now left with a broken valve and no idea how to get it out.
Any ideas how to fix this or have i terminally killed it?

Comments

• codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Might be helpful to post some pictures so we can better understand the situation.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Girth
    You can see the damage to the valve body here. This is the problem as i can't remove it
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can you get one in focus?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Girth
    Best i could do, had to use flash as bit dark down there :wink:

It looks like you can see the spring of the valve core, so the top of the valve body is gone.
    The gold point in the middle of the spring is the broken valve pin.

I can still press the pin in, but no air escapes.
    Hopefully something can be done that doesn't involve me buying a new rear shock

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Best i could do, had to use flash as bit dark down there :wink:

It looks like you can see the spring of the valve core, so the top of the valve body is gone.
    The gold point in the middle of the spring is the broken valve pin.

I can still press the pin in, but no air escapes.
    Hopefully something can be done that doesn't involve me buying a new rear shock

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Take a imperial allen key, put it into the valve stem and remove it. Then either try to remove the valve core or order one from below:

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Shock_Valve_Caps.html
  • Girth
    Great, thanks very much mate!