Building a bike

Kerrjohn1983
Kerrjohn1983 Posts: 27
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hello guys am in to road cycling and currently have a Trek madone 2.3 alloy bike. I really want to upgrade and have come up with the idea of buying a frame and moving my groupset across, was wondering if people had any tips on this as am sure its not as straight forward as it is in my head. any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, it is certainly possible but there are many pitfalls. There are many different standards and sizes of components which may or may not be different on the old and new frames.
    For example :
    Headset
    Bottom bracket
    Crankset
    Front mech mount
    Seat post
    You need to do a lot of homework to work out what will and will not fit.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Hello guys am in to road cycling and currently have a Trek madone 2.3 alloy bike. I really want to upgrade and have come up with the idea of buying a frame and moving my groupset across, was wondering if people had any tips on this as am sure its not as straight forward as it is in my head. any help would be greatly appreciated

that's a very expensive way to perform an upgrade (framesets are very expensive), would be cheaper to buy a new bike and sell yours
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I did pretty much the same thing as I had a Trek Madone 2.1 which I swapped out the frame for a Scott CR1, which I still ride now. Although the bike shop did the work for me.

Although I ended up upgrading all of the rest of the components, at least I did it over a period of time - I wouldn't have been able to get away with buying a new bike outright!

The most notable thing from my experience is that I had the same wheels for a while, and they were the stock Bontragers which are pretty terrible and heavy. It was only when I switched to my current Shimano RS80 that I properly realised the benefits of the new frame, and indeed I would suggest getting new wheels first - before a new frame, as if you do eventually change then you've already got good wheels to go with the good frame.

The main pitfall I think is tooling, it does seem almost everything needs a specific tool!

Compatibility may well be an issue, for me the new frame had a BB and headset so that wasn't a problem. All the rest of the parts swapped across ok except the seat post, which was entirely a different size.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I did the same thing with the CR1 frameset. Snapped it up because it was a bargain, I wanted to see what the fuss was all about with carbon frames, and I'd never afford a complete carbon bike.

As soon as it arrived I whipped everything off my old alloy bike except the BB and headset which came with the frame, and the seatpost which as Mark found was a different size. So I got a carbon bike for the cost of the frameset and a seatpost!

Then over the following 12 months I accumulated enough extra bits to build 2 complete bikes. The better / lighter stuff going on the CR1 and the chunkier, heavier stuff on the Racelight Tk which has become my wet weather bike.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Its a fine cheap way of doing it - framesets can be had for £100 from somewhere like Planet X - naturally the sky is the limit though.

Throw is some new cables for=, say, £30 all in from somewhere like CRC, a pot of grease and some degreaser and anything is possible on a budget.

Its all really simple to build up as well - just look long and hard at everything before you start and do some Youtubing if you're not sure.

The first time I did it I put both bikes next to each other and literally lifted one component off one and put it on the other - simple as. Take your time and its no effort at all.

Remember - its a bicycle not the space shuttle.

Any problems post in here and we'll sort it.

If you're after a frame, I have a brand new never used Planet X Team superlight with full uncut carbon forks, new headset (fitted), brand new carbon seat post, brand new carbon stem available.........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.