Budget Upgrades

Muzzychrs
Muzzychrs Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in MTB beginners
Hello all! New to Mtb only a few months, I made an uneducated purchase getting into the sport and bought a Specialized Pitch 650b. Not the best bike but I love riding!
So far I've put some maxis ardent tyres on and also got some Nukeproof pedals, I'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading the fork and brakes. I saw Clarks M2 hydraulic brakes for £50 are these any good, thanks! And are there any decent "budget" forks or is it just worth saving for a new bike!

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    get some deore M615 instead as for the rest ride your bike. you could upgrade the forks to a semi decent air fork for around £150 but then you've spent over £200 of a bike that can be bought for £400
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would just save the money so you can eventually buy a better bike if you really get into mountain biking.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup save for a new bike if you love the sport...

I find if you go the piecemeal upgrade route you end up spending more, and you still have a frame of a £400 bike stuck in the middle.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As above, save for a better bike. You will get something much better for your money that way.
    £600 gets you a bike in a whole different league to your Specialized.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    I've put a new saddle, grips and pedals on my Rockrider 8.0, despite it not being a particularly great bike, because I got it for a good price and realistically won't be able to upgrade to something better for a few years. The original pedals were small and only half of my clown feet fit on them, and the grips were split and slipping round (the saddle was mainly because you can get a Charge Spoon in camo, and I like camo). Anything more than that, though, isn't really worth it - I'll replace things if they wear out or break, but the fork (despite being a Suntour XCT) is fine for what I'm up to at the moment, the wheels are true, everything else to spin and move as it should so I'll focus on improving my skills rather than fettling with the bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You will be surprised how much better the bike will ride with a decent fork. The Suntour XCT pogo stick will really effect your ability to learn to ride will. You will just learn to ride with an odd technique to suit the awful fork.
  • Overdoze
    Overdoze Posts: 11
    Sorry to Hijack the thread. I have a 2013/14 Voodoo Bantu with 26" Suntour SR XCT HLO forks. Are these any good for learning on? And would it be worth upgrading them in the future?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are the minimal acceptable standard for learning on, they will be OK for now, but a better pair will really make a difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.