ile de Re - routes and ride buddies

ex-pat scot
ex-pat scot Posts: 939
I'm off shortly to the ile de Re, about half way down the Atlantique coast nr La Rochelle.
I've been there a few times recently, and whilst the island itself is great for family riding, it's a little singular - there's one real road to the end and back.

This year I have a few days for riding - the family will be spending most of their time on the beach, which is my idea of yuk. They are now old enough to not require such intensive looking after, so I can get out for a few long rides.

The next thoughts would be to head out of La Rochelle N towards Sables d'Olonne out and back, and S to ile d'Oleron. Both would be out-and-back routes, which in my experience isn't the best use of the opportunity.

So - any inspired suggestions for routes?
Anyone on the island and looking for company between now and 5th August?
Anyone know of any organised rides in the area? (I stayed in Vendee (la tranche sur mer) last year, and their tourist office had a few rides each week for visitors).
I've had a look on the local (Rochelle) club sites, but there doesn't seem too much on offer.

I'm staying at Blois Plage, but pretty much anywhere on the island is reachable without difficulty!
Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire