Bike Carrier questions

bigmeanbunny
bigmeanbunny Posts: 39
edited September 2015 in MTB general
I was over in the beginners section talking about getting some low end trail bikes for me and my missus, however we have hit a snag, I had got a universal carrier from machine mart but it wouldn't fit the car, have since returned and researched and it seems that Seat Ibiza MK5 don't really take carriers too well, due to the poncy spoiler not being that strong.

Can anyone advise me or help out? I have got some contacts for Towbars, however it's all started to get hideously expensive looking now with these extra purchases, With a tow bar do I need the electrics side of it? What is the legalities of having bikes on the back? I will never have a trailer on the car so was wondering if I got a towbar fitted and went for the basic Thule (link below) from decathlon would I be okay?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/xpress-970-towbar-bike-carrier-2-bikes-id_8176983.html

Comments

• buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Should be fine,Thule normally make quality bits.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Should be fine,Thule normally make quality bits.

I saw it in the flesh and it looked a quality bit of kit, as did their other trailers. Do I need anything to go with it though? such as a license plate holder or lights? This model looks like it would actually obscure to much of the rear of the car.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Ive got that exact carrier and it's incredible for what it is. It can take up to 30kg, I tend to take the wheels off any bikes on it so that it's not wider than my car at the back. If you are looking to carry two bikes on it, it'll be worth buying a couple of short bungee cords just to be safe.

Luckily i have a Ford Focus with the rear lights high on the side of the car so I don't need a lighting board, it does block my number plate but I've never been pulled over for it after 18 months of using it (touch wood). You may need one depending on whether the bikes/carrier obstruct the lights.
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I had an Exodus 3 bike carrier from Halfords (boot mounted) on my Altea Freetrack. I used it twice and wasn't happy with the stability of it. Ended up buying some second hand Thule Aero Bars and carriers for the top of the car.

Just waiting for the correct foot pack to wing it's way to me now so I can give it a go. Ideally, I would have wanted a towbar mounted one, but that meant £300+ on getting a towbar fitted and wired up. May still do it one day though as they seem the best solution.
  • bigmeanbunny
    bigmeanbunny Posts: 39
    edited July 2015
    I looked at roof racks but wasn't that keen if I am honest. I only got the car two months ago and am looking to keep it for a while and am looking to jack in playing footy on the weekends so biking was going to be the replacement so thinking about it the towbar probably makes long term sense, despite the initial outlay.
  • John Wh
    I wasn't keen on roof mounted either at first, until I tried the boot mounted one :)

Like i said though, I'll probably end up with a towbar eventually.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    My roof mounted carriers work really well, and I can open the tailgate without having to remove the bikes first which is handy.
  • Felipe2105
    Felipe2105 Posts: 68
    +1 for roof mounted carriers if you can. I ended up opting for an Avenir rear cycle rack though as roof racks for my car were pretty expensive. Overall it's really good quality and has all rubber hooks so it doesn't scratch your car.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-Car-Rack-Avenir-Montana/dp/B0014BMGRE
  • +1 for roof mounted carriers if you can. I ended up opting for an Avenir rear cycle rack though as roof racks for my car were pretty expensive. Overall it's really good quality and has all rubber hooks so it doesn't scratch your car.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-Car-Rack-Avenir-Montana/dp/B0014BMGRE

I can't put any weight on the spoiler though what so ever. It's proper flimsy looking having had a closer look so not surprised to have read about them warping with bike carriers being on them. Plus having just had a look there are no mountpoints and with it being 3 door am not sure that it would be suitable for roof racking.
  • WhyteSky
    WhyteSky Posts: 70
    Forgive me if its been suggested - I've literally only skimmed through the thread so may have missed it.

I use a roof carrier and a towbar carrier. Much pefer the towbar carrier because the wife can load and unload bikes too and I worry about my bike swaying around on the roof!

Never lost one yet.

Have you looked at the saris bones? Not used one myself but a friend has one and its fits a multitude of cars and clears spoilers. He's got a M3 cabrio and it fits a treat. Looks ridiculous though - a 400+ bhp car with the roof down and two bikes on the back! In fact, looks ridiculous even without the bikes in the back! I hate topless cars!
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I have no personal experience of them, but the Saris Gran Fondo looks like a good design that does away with the need for a light board. I also like the idea that the rack touches no part of the frame.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Overdoze
    Overdoze Posts: 11
    I have a MK5 Ibiza Sport. Currently using the Halfords "Rear High Mount 3 Cycle Carrier" to transport 2 bikes about. Not the fanciest but It's stable enough and wont have to touch the spoiler. It wont take 3 adult bikes though.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Obstructing the number plate and lights is going to be a problem. The electric point is needed for a lighting board. You are fine as long as it doesn't over hang more than a meter at the back.

If it does the ends need to be clearly visible. I have a fold down 4 bike carrier on the back of my motorhome and it overhangs just under a meter, but allowing for handle bars I just put an arm band on the outward most handle bar and the rack itself has some high vis tape on.

For example :
    Fiamma_Carry_Bike_Pro%5B5%5D.jpg

would need the end to be visible according to:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/362006/A_brief_guide_to_overhanging_loads.pdf

given the carrier is 750mm and typical mountaing bike bars are up to 700mm - you could get an overhang of 1.1M
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I assume you're the blonde?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have a MK5 Ibiza Sport. Currently using the Halfords "Rear High Mount 3 Cycle Carrier" to transport 2 bikes about. Not the fanciest but It's stable enough and wont have to touch the spoiler. It wont take 3 adult bikes though.

How much use you had on it? I have a 12 plate 3 door sport so imagine we have the same although on the halfords site it doesn't seem to be compatible with the 3dr other than the 08-10 model.

I bottled getting a towbar as I didn't want the bumper cutting. I got a mount blanc hatchback carrier from Decathlon and have nearly lost a finger in it today trying to get set up, it seems a very study piece of kit but with zero experience in this area I can't figure out how to get it attached, the instructions are entirely in not very straight forward diagrams and broken English.

I am not sure what to do now.
  • John Wh
    I did my first trip with my roof mounted bike carriers yesterday and drove like I was on egg shells for the first couple of miles. After the fear wore off, I started driving more normal and they were really sturdy.

Out of all the options you have, I'd look into roof bars. Apparently, these Thule roof bars fit the MK5 Ibiza 3 door 2008+

https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Seat&model=Ibiza&type=3-door-Hatchback&modelYear=2008-plus&id=17
  • I got it set up today and there didn't seem to be a good way of mounting the bottom clips and having hung it from the spoiler I instantly saw why people advise not putting weight on it. Have returned it now. Think I am going to have to stop being a baby and just get the towbar fitted. If I don't get on with it can get it removed and have a new bumper added.

I looked at roof racks, however I would worry about getting the bike up onto the roof without smashing either myself, the bike or the car!
  • John Wh
    Fair enough :)

I suppose it depends on the weight of the bike or your strength/height. Mine goes on top of a Seat Altea Freetrack so it has to be lifted fairly high!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not exactly hard.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I have a towbar mount and electrics and so on. Be careful to declare it with insurance company. Tesco insurance defined it as a modification and would not accept it. Direct line have always accepted it as an addition which does not incur any cost. They did however want to know that the tow bar was for and told me I had to declare a bike rack and a bike as well or not covered. I don't know the score on roof racks and 'strap ons' (well I do know a little about strap ons but off topic) but I was surprised on the insurance issue. Tow bar plus electrics 250 for my focus.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Overdoze
    Overdoze Posts: 11
    I have a MK5 Ibiza Sport. Currently using the Halfords "Rear High Mount 3 Cycle Carrier" to transport 2 bikes about. Not the fanciest but It's stable enough and wont have to touch the spoiler. It wont take 3 adult bikes though.

How much use you had on it? I have a 12 plate 3 door sport so imagine we have the same although on the halfords site it doesn't seem to be compatible with the 3dr other than the 08-10 model.

I bottled getting a towbar as I didn't want the bumper cutting. I got a mount blanc hatchback carrier from Decathlon and have nearly lost a finger in it today trying to get set up, it seems a very study piece of kit but with zero experience in this area I can't figure out how to get it attached, the instructions are entirely in not very straight forward diagrams and broken English.

I am not sure what to do now.

Sorry for the late reply. I use it 2-3 times a week and have had it over a month. Had no issues with it, bikes are secure and don't feel like moving. Only downside is it gets in the way of the read wiper, not that visibility is great with 2 bikes on the back anyway.
  • Finally about to go out today, having made lunch, sorted drinks, change for the parking machine etc. Got to the car and the missus small frame Decathlon bike doesn't fit the bastard Thule Xpress AB. Having had a look I don't think the extended/top bar frame thing you could buy would sort it neither. Swear we are fucking cursed, all I want to do is cycle my bike around a bastard park!
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    Back seats down, front wheels off, sling the bikes in and get gone. Not ideal but it'll do the job.
  • John Wh
    That's one of the reasons I went roof mounted. Frames are pretty much all compatible. Out of about 5 bikes I tried on the boot mounted one, only one fitted without fuss.
  • stevew185
    stevew185 Posts: 7
    I was trying to find a rear mount for my Galaxy (when its full of kids) couldn't find anything so ended up going for roof bars and a roof carrier (also added a narrow/long top box), so far its proven to be easy to use, very stable and had no trouble with it, though it can be a bit of a lift getting a 13kg bike up onto the roof of an MPV :)
  • +1 for towbar mounted kit.

I have had roof mounted carriers for years, but the impact on fuel cost often makes me consider if the trip is worth it. I have an ibiza ST, and if its just me and possibly +1 going, I prefer to put the seats down and put the bikes in the car.

I have the roobars and carriers now so will continue to use, just bought a second hand boot mounted rack which is ace for the kids bikes, no spoiler to worry about on mine though.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I got the towbar, electrics and board for £250. And you need the board. You also need to inform the insurace company about the towbar. Most will accept it free of charge some - including Tesco will define it as a modification and will not accept it!!!
    If you don't inform them then the car is not insured! You also (and this is ridiculous) have to declare what the towhbar is for - or the car is not covered.

Worth the hassle though the towbar mounted carrier is brilliant.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • My dad has a towbar mounted carrier and while I was at first sceptical (the fact that it clamps onto a ball made me worry it would slip) it seems to work absolutely fine, and the fact that it can be locked makes it a tad more secure than my roof mounted ones (the mounts lock to the bars, but my bars aren't on rails and so don't lock to the car).

That said, paying a quarter of the value of my car to fit a towbar isn't really an option for me at this stage so I'm sticking with my roofmouts - at least I don't need to take any wheels off, or worry about the width of my back end - as long as I don't go into too many car parks, I should be fine with the clearance above!