Best kitted out bike for around£1000

Bikerdave41
Bikerdave41 Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I have been riding a 2010 Boardman team carbon with sram rival and want to upgrade, but unsure what bike to purchase next?
I was thinking maybe a Planet X bike with a sram gearing or a giant defy 0 with its shimano ultegra.

Comments

• Neither of those are an upgrade on what you have.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    You'd be better off spending that £1000 on shiny new wheels (such as Kyserium elites or Dura Ace C24s) and/ or a nice groupset such as Ultegra or Force.

The Planet X pro carbon certainly is the bet specced bike for that price, but the frame won't be any better (if anything, worse than the Boardman)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have a Planet-X RT-58 and i thought it was great.....until I bought my Canyon Ultimate CF SL frame.The Planet-X feels harsh to ride in comparison.PX offer good spec for the money but the compromise is the frame.
    I know a few people with Planet-X Pro Carbons and they all say they're not the most comfortable things to ride!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Neither of those are an upgrade on what you have.

Correct.

As for other post, don't put £1000 of wheels on it, that's way over the top. £300-£500 will do it.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 411
    I'm looking into getting one of these, must be about the best kitted out bike for about a grand:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html
  • Thanks for your replies, any suggestions on what to purchase for around £1000 to upgrade
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Thanks for your replies, any suggestions on what to purchase for around £1000 to upgrade

the consensus is that you will not be able to get a better frame for that price so why not upgrade to Ultegra groupset for £470 and Zondas for £250. Assuming somebody swaps it out for you it will feel like a new bike and save £250.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Shimano RS81 wheelset about £350.
    Full Shimano Ultegra 6800 groupset about £450

That's almost an entirely new bike and you'll still have £200 change, you could set a new set of handle bars and seatpost for that.

Either that or buy a dirt cheap frame and use all your old components to build a winter bike.