This bike to small for me?

jayjaymozza
jayjaymozza Posts: 21
edited July 2015 in MTB general
Hi, I'm after this bike http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Mondraker-Vantage-Mountain-Bike-2015-Hardtail-MTB_77670.htm

The only problem is that the size is set on small, I'm 5.5, will this be okay or ?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a sizing guide. But only sitting on one will tell you.

Terrible spec for the money though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Oh is it?
    What bike would you suggest on that site for the money?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One with better spec, but I probably wouldn't using them anyway. Try a Cube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    One with better spec, but I probably wouldn't using them anyway. Try a Cube.

I concur. It's an attractive frame, but £720 is a lot for that build. Tredz is fairly limited in selection, but for circa £700, I'd be looking into this;

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Attention-SL-27-5-Mountain-Bike-2015-Hardtail-MTB_73099.htm

Air sprung forks, some internal cable routing (probably not the most refined, but a nice touch), Hollowtech II crank as standard, Shimano brakes and Shimano hubs. I'd try other sites if you can, plenty of different options elsewhere.
    Canyon do a good selection of hardtails around this price bracket I believe, Vitus too.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • WhyteSky
    WhyteSky Posts: 70
    Terrible spec for the money though.

Bit of an understatement isn't it?

Couldn't believe that spec when I read it after looking at the price!

I've always said spec wears out and gets replaced (usually with upgraded components) but I'd want to be changing most of that before I even rode it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spec is on a par with bikes selling for less than £350.

And it looks a Munter as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Spec is a bit low for the cash, but be aware the bike they are pointing you at is totally different in style.

The Vantage is a slack long hardtail more about abuse, the cube is a 100mm travel xc type machine.. the vantage frame is superb and a great ride totally great for an upgrade path if its the style of riding you want. Just make sure what people show you is a like for like machine.. I'd be happy on the vantage and hate riding the cube personally even with the better components...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Mondraker frame may be up for a bit of abuse but the dreadful fork will soon put a stop to any enthusiastic riding that's if the wheels don't pringle at the first pothole.
    You can have the best frame in the world but with those components it will ride like crap.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Spec is low yes, but the frame is very good. That Cube frame won't be up to much i guarantee it. But then it depends what sort of rider you are...

I think you guys are being a little unfair on the mondy anyway, the spec isn't THAT bad. The forks on the cube are equally poor at least.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XC32 solo air is a much better fork than the RST (30mm stanchions, unadjustable damping, and a quite astonishing 2,8kg!!). But as you say, it does depend on the use, the Cube is more XC oriented.
  • The Rookie
    The forks on the cube are equally poor at least.
    And for those of us in the real world, the forks on the cube are at least 2 tiers above those on the Mondy...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    The forks on the cube are equally poor at least.
    And for those of us in the real world, the forks on the cube are at least 2 tiers above those on the Mondy...

Don't disagree... but its a completely different style of bike.
  • The Rookie
    Quite so, but to take advantage of the difference the Mondy really needs a BETTER fork than the Cube!
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Conceptually speaking the Mondraker is more aggressive, but with a Blaze on it, I definitely wouldn't want to ride it on anything other than XC. I don't think either of them is suitable for anything more than cross country riding: the Cube because of the geometry and short travel limitations and the Mondraker because you don't really have 130mm of usable travel and the rims won't thank you for it.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • The Rookie
    And the geometry on the Cube will make it far better for that usage as well, it works as an XC bike because that is what it is!
  • Thewaylander
    Still no point of comparing apples with pears as we say here...find a similar type of machine to compare...
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    That RockRider though, ridiculous spec for the money
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • The Rookie
    So is the Mondraker, but in the wrong way!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    No. But it might be too small for you.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607