Strange noise from rear bearing on Felt F75

oli11122
oli11122 Posts: 9
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hi, I have only done around 200 miles on my new road bike, a 2014 Felt F75 and just noticed a strange noise coming from the rear hub on a ride today. It happens when i'm freewheeling and when pedaling, I don't know much about bike mechanics but sounds like some kind of bearing issue to me, which is annoying as its only two weeks old. :(

I found a video of the same problem on a similar felt bike, my issues are literally identical to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie9mc9Ol4tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prraDNQRkgs

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Thanks

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I would remove the rear wheel and spin the axle by hand, it should be smooth and silent with no sideways play.
    If it sounds or feels tight, gritty or slack then the bearings need attention.
    It might have the old cup and cone bearings or replaceable sealed bearings.
    If you want to tackle it yourself look on youtube and Park tools for tutorial.
    If not take it to your LBS.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • oli11122
    Thank you for the advice.

When I removed the wheel it seemed to spin straight, and I couldn't see any sideways movement on it, but then again I don't have a wheel truing tool. There is something up though as there is some kind of friction in the bearing or somewhere in the freewheel as it doesn't spin for long before it stops, much like when a break pad is rubbing a little. It still makes the horrible gritty noise even when not in the frame.

I contacted Merlin cycles as I purchased the bike from them and they have arranged to collect the whole wheel to inspect it. The wording they used in the emails seemed like they were blaming me for this issue.

I've taken very good care of the bike, ridden it on fairly good roads, avoided potholes, cleaned it all off after each ride and kept the bike inside at a comfortable temperature. Do you think it is likely me doing something that has caused this or is it likely just a manufacturing/ assembly defect?

Thank you for all of your help :)
  • topdude
    OK, you have confirmed that the bearings need overhauling or replacing. Most likely caused by water or dirt getting in maybe from riding in bad weather or over enthusiastic cleaning. This will be called wear & tear so not covered by any warranty.
    I would forget about merlin and take the wheel to a good LBS.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    OK, you have confirmed that the bearings need overhauling or replacing. Most likely caused by water or dirt getting in maybe from riding in bad weather or over enthusiastic cleaning. This will be called wear & tear so not covered by any warranty.

Is a bearing failing after 2 weeks really fair wear and tear?? Or does it suggest it was faulty or badly installed? (hard to prove I know)

The more I hear about cartridge bearings packing up prematurely, the more I like my cup and cone Shimano hubs...
  • oli11122
    Hi,

Merlin have agreed to collect the wheel now all at their cost, but otherwise I would have been taking it to the LBS today. :)

I'm not sure what type of bearings are used in the hub, but felt certainly seem to have an issue with them i've found a few people on various forums with similar issues. Knowing how sloppy Merlin cycles were with my bike and delivery I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't their poor fitting that caused it.
  • topdude
    Ok, let us know the outcome.
    Good luck.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't think you can hold Merlin directly responsible for a duff or badly fitted wheel bearing, that will be Felt's fault. Merlin should I'd have thought sort you out a new wheel under warranty though?? Good luck!
  • oli11122
    Just a quick update.

I still don't have my wheel back, over a week after I sent it. Merlin took 4 days before they even looked at it, and then I received an email yesterday evening informing me that they have decided to replace the whole hub rather than just the bearing... Which is fine except they have fitted a shimano hub because they didn't have any felt hubs in stock. They also refuse to tell me what type of hub they have fitted, so I think it is likely its an inferior replacement, moreover it wont match the lovely anodized red of the other fittings on my bike.

I'm not very happy. Surely under trading standards they would have to replace parts like for like? When I asked them this they got all funny with me and told me if I wasnt happy to pack the whole bike up for collection and I could have a refund?

What do I do?

Thanks
    Oliver
  • oli11122
    Another Update:

Phoned Merlin this morning and they are now sending me a whole new felt wheel, with matching hub. So after a fair bit of hassle and having to contact them several times, I am now happy with the result.

Apparently the issue with the wheel was the bearing and the hub had a fault. They didn't explain what it was but I expect it may have just been a fault in manufacturing that had gotten worse with the initial mileage I put on the bike.

In case anyone else finds this thread with the same issue, try to get your bearing replace or replace the whole hub to fix the issue :)