Alur Ultegra - anyone got one?

mr.b-campag
mr.b-campag Posts: 411
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Saw this in Decathlon today and was very impressed by the spec:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html

No reviews available yet and it's own bike to work window atm and I'm sorely tempted. Does anyone have one and can say what it's like?

Thanks

B

Comments

• manticore
    manticore Posts: 10
    Hi there

I have the 105 group set version, got it about a month ago.
    Have to say its fantastic value for money, rides really well.

I'd have to say go for it

Regards
    Keith W
  • mr.b-campag
    Thanks Keith. Do you (or anyone else) know if they would change one or two things on it? Primarily I'd like a longer stem and (ideally) shorter cranks than come as standard on the medium size.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Thanks Keith. Do you (or anyone else) know if they would change one or two things on it? Primarily I'd like a longer stem and (ideally) shorter cranks than come as standard on the medium size.

It would depend on the store you buy from. Part of hitting the price point is just selling them off the shelf as they get them in from France. I wouldn't be confident that your average Decathlon store would have a selection of Ultegra cranks readily available.

It looks a lovely bike though.
  • cyruszaydan
    cyruszaydan Posts: 2
    edited July 2015
    I ordered one today and am due to pick it up later this week. I asked one of the sales staff at Decathlon in Coventry whether they would swap the existing tyres ( Mavic Yksion comps), for Michelin Pro 4 SC 700 x 25s and he said that he would do that at no extra cost. So it may be worth asking...
  • mr.b-campag
    Good to hear. Did you ask when you ordered it or when you were told it would be ready? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the bike once you collect it.
  • I was going to order it online, but because I wanted a change of tyres and knew Decathlon stocked the ones I wanted, I went to the shop to have a chat with them. I spoke to the salesman who served me and asked whether he had to check the swap with his manager, but he said it was fine and he would sort it out himself. Buying and paying for the bike was strange as I signed up for a loyalty card first ( that got me vouchers worth more than £20), and I then put my details into a large screen. When I did that, it showed that the bike would be ready today, but I was told that it would be more than likely that it would be ready tomorrow...probably :?. I then paid for it at the till. I'll try to give you a fair view of what I think of the bike but I'm afraid it may not be if value,as I won't have another road bike to compare it to as it's my first road bike! I just decided to get the best specced bike I could get for around £1000, as that was my budget. Having said that, I reckon the Ultegra groupset will perform...ok :)
  • gusaments
    gusaments Posts: 2
    I was going to order it online, but because I wanted a change of tyres and knew Decathlon stocked the ones I wanted, I went to the shop to have a chat with them. I spoke to the salesman who served me and asked whether he had to check the swap with his manager, but he said it was fine and he would sort it out himself. Buying and paying for the bike was strange as I signed up for a loyalty card first ( that got me vouchers worth more than £20), and I then put my details into a large screen. When I did that, it showed that the bike would be ready today, but I was told that it would be more than likely that it would be ready tomorrow...probably :?. I then paid for it at the till. I'll try to give you a fair view of what I think of the bike but I'm afraid it may not be if value,as I won't have another road bike to compare it to as it's my first road bike! I just decided to get the best specced bike I could get for around £1000, as that was my budget. Having said that, I reckon the Ultegra groupset will perform...ok :)

I know it's a year late - but how's the bike?! I'm thinking of buying the large 720af now, for commuting and also long country rides. Would love to hear as much info as possible, also, any tips on which tires to ask for an upgrade to now?