Radial Spoked Wheels for Commuting?

dazzawazza
dazzawazza Posts: 462
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, I recently purchased a new front wheel from a private seller on Ebay to replace the existing slightly damaged wheel and to match the rear.

The wheel is all new Mavic Open Pro rim, 32 spokes laced to a 105 HB5800 hub (appears well built with good tension).
With safety in mind I chose the above configuration due to it's known strength, however what I wasn't expecting was that the spokes were laced in a radial configuration.
The seller had used a borrowed picture, which showed the configuration as crossed laced so I shouldn't have any problem returning the wheel if I need to.

Is the above configuration ok for a strong and safe wheel for commuting 26 miles a day or should I return it?

Also is the 105 HB5800 hub cold forged? I read that this is important as a radial configuration stresses the hub more than cross laced. A couple of sellers advertise it as cold forged, but I would prefer confirmation from someone that knows for sure.

Many thanks!

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Radial has no advantages for your purpose, but I think it will turn out fine if the spoke tension is moderate.
    Never seen a Shimano hub with broken flange.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My radially spoked RS10 front wheel is still fine after 8 years and numerous pothole impacts despite it's paltry 16 spokes. I've had to true it once in that time after an unusually violent hit. So if it's been well built you should be OK I'd have thought.

I weigh 64kg if that has any bearing on things.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Cheapy R500s are radial at the front (16? 20?) never had any problems in years of owning them. Not fast wheels but I load my bike up with luggage quite often.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cheapy R500s are radial at the front (16? 20?) never had any problems in years of owning them. Not fast wheels but I load my bike up with luggage quite often.

My winter bike has R501's. 20 radial spokes up front. Similarly robust, which is a good job since it gets a lot of night time riding when the potholes are even harder to spot.