Bike wanted - disc brake, road triple for touring?

big lewy
big lewy Posts: 35
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone

Just back from a tour in the north west of Scotland that took in some great scenery, but also some major climbs. Even some of the main routes had gradients to 15% but on top of this we took on the Bealach Ratagain and the better known Bealach Na Ba over to Applecross.

All of this was done on my faithful Galaxy, but I did learn 2 things. Firstly, I definitely need a triple with a granny gear to get me+bike+bags over these climbs, and secondly that descending on a loaded bike with canti brakes is terrifying.

Therefore, I need a bike with mounts for a full rack, a triple chainset and disc brakes. Any recommendations? I had thought that I could find a cyclo-cross bike that would do it, but all seem to have doubles. A double might do it if it has a small enough bottom gear - I suppose I could get a 32 at the back and perhaps swap in a 30 at the front. Anyway, I would appreciate any ideas.

Cheers.

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    On gearing, depends what the triple comes with. Most are 30t with perhaps a 28t cassette and a short cage mech.

That gear is, 28.1 inches.

On a compact, with a 34t front, long cage and 32t cassette that gear is 27.9 inches, i.e. smaller and easier.

That's not to say you can't spec a triple with the same and have a very low gear!

The Tour de Fer, for example, is a real low gear climber!

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/expedition/tour-de-fer

But, you might consider a compact with 32t cassette as there's more out there to choose from currently.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The Tour de Fer looks a good option. Other possibilities include the latest Dawes Ultra Galaxy with discs at £1,799. Spa Cycles is always a good source for properr touring bikes. Their Ti Adventure with discs is £1,600 and they also do the Surly Disc Trucker at £1,080.

I reckon a bottom gear of 23 in or lower is what you need for loaded touring. It's what I use and that is low enough to get my touring bike with camping gear in front and rear panniers up the big passes of the Alps, Pyrenees, Wales and Scotland. That means a bottom gear of 24/28 (what I use) or something like a 28/32 (which the Spa Cycles bikes use). The Tour de Fer goes even lower.

A touring bike like your Galaxy will handle better with a load than cyclocross bikes which can be twitchy with panniers due to more racy geometry.
  • big lewy
    big lewy Posts: 35
    Thanks both for these suggestions. Indeed the tour de fer would meet the spec easily, and I also came across the Salsa Vaya/Fargo and the Surly Disc Trucker.

My wish to try and convert a cross bike into a tourer comes from the fact that I am reluctant to part with or side line my Galaxy given the thousands of miles and years of service it has given me. My plan had been to sell my seldom used mountain bike and replace it with a bike that could handle trails and take a rack when needed for another vertiginous tour.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Just spotted another potential bike for you while I was reading a cycle mag in the bath! Trek 920 disc at £1,375. Light (ish) alloy frame, hydraulic discs and SRAM 42/28 and 11-36 gears giving all the range you need, albeit with larger jumps between ratios than a triple. It comes with front and rear racks and big tyres and looks very suitable for rough stuff.
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    Canti's are a real pain to setup...have you tried mini-V's? I've done loaded touring with them and had no problems