Replacement Headset... loosening top cap?

swalsh1974
swalsh1974 Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Firstly, i'm new to the site - hello all...

I have a Fuji Granfondo 2.1... The headset is a FSA Orbit C-40, 1 1/8" upper – 1 1/2" lower, integrated. Now here's the problem. whenever i'm out riding the top cap continually comes loose and makes a really annoying rattle of the spacer and top cap. I'm worried it may be dangerous but then i'm thinking should I take the opportunity of upgrading to a Chris King head set or do I just need to spend less money and focus on the expansion bolt and adjusting cap and bolt?

I like the idea of a new headset from Chris King but unsure which to get - I was looking at spending in the region of £140?

Any advice would be appreciated - even if it's just confirmation that nothing will fall off when i'm out riding!

Thanks
Simon

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    It sounds like it's just the expansion bolt (bung) that's not tight enough. If it's too loose the top cap can't be tightened (it only needs to be pinched up). Personally I'd strip down the headset and visually check all's well. Then clean, regrease, reassemble and adjust.

If the problem continues a new bung is probably all that's needed.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2015
    Chris king don't make fully integrated headsets. There isn't a CK headset that would fit your frame.

Buying an expensive headset wont necessarily fix the problem.

A Loosening headset is usually a sign that the stem bolts are not tightened enough, or there is apart missing like the centre ring,or worst case scenario there is a problem with your steerer tube ie a crack.

Probably best to remove the headset and forks and inspect the steerer, and check all the parts are there.

Then take a look at the bung inside the steerer. It could be just loose and need tightening up abit. If it was loose it may have slid up the steerer too much. Its needs to be about 25mm deep from the top of the steerer.

When you come to reinstall everything. Make sure to fully tighten the top cap first removing any play before tigtening the stem bolts.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The top cap is not actually required and if the headset and stem has been correctly asse,
    Miked and fitted it could actually be removed. As it does nothing once the stem has been tightened.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Super, thanks for the info - i'll strip it down and take a look.

Many thanks

Simon
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The top cap is not actually required and if the headset and stem has been correctly asse,
    Miked and fitted it could actually be removed. As it does nothing once the stem has been tightened.

It will help keep everything centred if its installed. i would advise not to remove it. It will be required when you come to tighten everything up again.

And bikes look a bit crap without them ,dont they ?