World Cup Downhill Tracks

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited August 2015 in MTB general
I have no intention of doing so because I lack the skill, inclination and frankly the balls to even try such routes, but are the World Cup tracks open to the general public when not in use, or are they preserved especially?

I only ask as I'd be interested to know how good or not some of the people are on here on such routes. I know that people won't have the same factory team specced bikes etc. but there must be some that are pretty good on here? I'd be interested to see any videos forum members might have of them attempting such routes.

I only ask as I have been catching up on the World Cup over the last couple of days and just wondered if normal mortals can get down these tracks in one piece.

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    As a general rule the tracks are open to the public - I have in the past ridden the Champery course from before it was last in the Worlds. I have ridden a couple of Avalanche cup courses in France, the Canadian Open course in Whistler and the like - plenty on here will have ridden British DH courses which are not necessarily easier just maybe shorter.

I haven't ridden any of these tracks on a true DH bike - even ridden some on an xc hardtail. With a modicum of skill you can ride anything on anything - you wont be hucking the big jumps (I know I didn't) but its possible.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have ridden Fort William and Champary. Both are fine to be honest, not the toughest trails I have ridden. Riding them at world cup speeds is a different matter.
    I have entered races where world cup rider have been in the elite category and there's a huge gap between riders like Danny Hart or Gee Atherton and even national level elite racers. I don't think it's down to the factory bikes,it's more about the amount of training and their fitness.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Some are open to the public, some aren't.
    I've done fort bill and champery as well, neither are that difficult really. But as rockmonkey says, riding them at race pace is a different matter.
    Rode Fort Bill on a short travel trail bike, was fine. I have some videos, might put one of them online if you really want to see it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's good to see that world cups are moving away from easy tracks like Pietermaritzberg and back to the older style gnarly, rocky, steep tracks.
  • whitey161
    whitey161 Posts: 110
    Yeah we went to scotland and rode teh Fort William WC track. Did it on my trail bike though with no body armour so is not a particularly impressive run lol. Does realy give you a great insight into how gnarly the tracks are as nothing ever looks as big on video.

Here it is if you're interested:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_VLgx5RKk
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • rockmonkeysc
    A lot more speed would make those tech sections a lot easier.