Boardman team or caadx for racing?

GGBiker
GGBiker Posts: 450
edited August 2015 in Cyclocross
Can pick up either of these (caadx in sora form) for a good price at moment, any opinions on which is better for actual racing? I found last season that my genesis vapour canti bike had major problems with mud clearance, the actual frame clearances were tight compared to other bikes racing eg caadx which I think was main issue.
Thought disc would help in mud also.

I would probably want to race stock this year at least and possibly upgrade in future (wheels, maybe 105 11 speed).

Other option is kinesis 5t frameset and move over existing campag group but this probably wouldn't be any cheaper as I need new wheels.

So for racing which wins?

Comments

• comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Can pick up either of these (caadx in sora form) for a good price at moment, any opinions on which is better for actual racing? I found last season that my genesis vapour canti bike had major problems with mud clearance, the actual frame clearances were tight compared to other bikes racing eg caadx which I think was main issue.
    Thought disc would help in mud also.

I would probably want to race stock this year at least and possibly upgrade in future (wheels, maybe 105 11 speed).

Other option is kinesis 5t frameset and move over existing campag group but this probably wouldn't be any cheaper as I need new wheels.

So for racing which wins?

I can tell you that the Caadx has not got a "flat" under the top tube for carrying so bear that in mind.
    Stock calipers that come with CaadX aren't great - they will work if you spend time setting them up but you will be shopping for upgrades. I upgraded the wheels and groupset also. It is a great handling frame. Handling reminds me of the Colnagos and Looks in that stable yet quick enough manner.Other than that,I've had mine for about 20 months it has exceeded expectations. I recently did a tough hilly 200Km sportive on mine and it was a perfect bike for that, so they are adaptable to road riding if that matters. One of the few things I have ever bought and thought it was worth a good bit more than it cost :D
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Cheers here a lot of good reports on the caadx frame as you would expect. I would be getting the disc version so no calliper issues.

Another option might be kinesis pro 6 disc frameset and build it myself.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Another option might be kinesis pro 6 disc frameset and build it myself.
    Big advantages of going down this route:
    - You won't be spending money on inferior components (esp brakes) that have to be replaced
    - You can build the spec you want, rather than the spec the manufacturer wants to build
    - You'll know the bike inside-out, so no maintenance issues
    - You can often save a lot of money by shopping around for components and/or buying some second-hand

As an example, my race bikes cost me slightly less to build than the equivalent "off the shelf" bikes, have better-quality components, and are the best part of 2kg lighter.

Pro6 seems to be a popular enough frame; I have one built up as a commuter, and am very happy with it. Never raced it, but it's identical geometry to my race bikes, so the handling should be fine.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Yeah, there's an immense sense of satisfaction doing it yourself.

How about:
    http://www.probikekit.co.uk/brands/kinesis/crosslight.list?widget_id=74751

no idea if the cheapest, they usually are, plus it's dead easy to get, at least, 10% discount codes on the net
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Agree with both the posts above re building your own. Thanks to Black Friday and a sale at Winstanleys last year I built this for about £1100, I did already have a saddle and bars though
    photo205_zps11jxfrbe.jpg?t=1423943206
    Disadvantage was having to wait for back orders to be filled for the frame - which was ordered in Nov but didn't arrive until Jan (Winstanleys honoured the sale price ). Well worth the wait and I highly recommend the frame. I used to race MTBs in the 90's and have horrible memories of being shaken to bits by unforgiving alloy frames. No worries here though - reminds me of the good old, pre suspension days. Now to pimp it out with some purple anodized parts.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you have a Focus dealer near you give one a try. Not everyone gets on with them as the geometry is quite aggressive. Generally come with good bang per buck components wise.