GT Force rear hub issues.

RickyGT
RickyGT Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in MTB general
Looking to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue as me, I bought a GT Force Expert Carbon 2014, brand new at the end of May, about one week into riding I was going up a moderate climb nothing too much and I heard a bang in the rear end, pretty loud but I assumed it was chainslip until 10 metres later, another huge bang and the Freehub was GONE. I got it back to the LBS I work at, opened it up and the teeth on the Freehub body were sheared, there's two teeth side by side all the way round and the outer teeth were completely sheared in half, and the inner teeth only half sheared all the way round! I know on the hub the main metal housing is GTs own unbranded one and the Freehub body is 'Salsa' both designed like sh*t. Sent the hub back, got a replacement (they were reluctant to send me it!) and got the wheel built back up.. Two weeks later the exact same thing happened and I wasn't happy, I have now sent the wheel back and said build me a wheel, upgrade me to a hub that won't break, after the boss spoke to the warranty guy over the phone and almost snapped from the reluctancy to send a new hub (he said there was evidence of dirt on there and it was caused by abusive riding..) they have decided to send a new wheel with a zee hub, I'd have preferred something a bit better but it will do.. All I need now is a disc lock rotor!!

Anyone else experienced this with their GT hub?
The importers are the people we have contacted (CycleSport Group) and to be honest service has been rubbish and I am guaranteed to never ever buy anything GT again after they have skimped out on some of the main components of this 3 grand bike! Very disappointing, wouldn't have been as mad if they weren't so reluctant to give up the BS with these cr*p hubs..

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So you are getting a decent replacement? Presumably better than the original.

I'm not sure what the point is then.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've covered over 900 miles on my GT hubs with no problems at all. My bike wasn't as expensive as yours being an Avalanche Expert hard tail, so I'd assume yours has better hubs in that price bracket. Sounds like you've been unlucky.

They are replacing it so you can't really complain unless the third replacement gives up the ghost.
  • RickyGT
    RickyGT Posts: 3
    Yeah I suppose, it's just the fact it broke in the first place and even worse twice, the ZEE should be pretty sound now just wondered if anyone else had the same problem.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I met a lad pushing a GT Force across Exmoor with a dead freehub a while back. In between thr swearing he did mention it wasn't the first time it happened.
    I had the same problem with Superstar hubs but they just kept replacing them without any argument.
  • I've spoken too soon about my GT hubs. Noticed my rear hub had a lot of play yesterday when cleaning and lubing the bike. Just looks like the cones have worked loose, but that's the wheel in the bike shop now and the days holiday I was going to spend cycling not happening.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You put a whole bike into a bike shop for the sake of 10 minutes tweaking the cup and cone bearings? really?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You put a whole bike into a bike shop for the sake of 10 minutes tweaking the cup and cone bearings? really?

Nope I put the wheel into the shop, not the bike. I've never worked on bike hubs before rather than mess it up I'll let them sort it out. I don't have cone spanners either.

I've only really spent the last 12 months getting seriously into riding after a 16 year break, in time I'll build tools and experience. For now I'd rather it was sorted as quickly as possible by someone with more experience than me.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    But they took the wheel in for the weekend? it is literally a 10 minute if that job, should of been done while you waited..
  • The Rookie
    Nope I put the wheel into the shop, not the bike. I've never worked on bike hubs before rather than mess it up I'll let them sort it out. I don't have cone spanners either.
    How will you learn without trying?

Bet a set of cone spanners will cost less than the LBS, in fact you could probably have had a whole tool kit for less!

Doesn't sound like your 'failure' (aka normal wear and tear) is anything like the OP's anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nope I put the wheel into the shop, not the bike. I've never worked on bike hubs before rather than mess it up I'll let them sort it out. I don't have cone spanners either.
    How will you learn without trying?

Bet a set of cone spanners will cost less than the LBS, in fact you could probably have had a whole tool kit for less!

Doesn't sound like your 'failure' (aka normal wear and tear) is anything like the OP's anyway.

Agreed my issue is wear and tear rather than failure. I doubt I'd buy a full decent set of bike service tools for under £15 which is what the shop charges for a hub service.

Besides as the bike is only a couple of months old, they have done it for free and I've got the wheel back in less than 2 hours.

I fully intend to get to grips with doing my own bike servicing. I can repair and maintain my cars, so a bike should be a piece of cake. Like I say in time I'll build up some decent bike tooling to my current range of tools and when I have time I'll tackle jobs. When I'd rather have it done in a hurry though someone more experienced saves me faffing about.

Anyway I'm off for a ride! :D
  • The Rookie
    I doubt I'd buy a full decent set of bike service tools for under £15 which is what the shop charges for a hub service.
    True, but not much more! http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOJWTK/jobsworth-shimano-specific-18-piece-cycle-tool-kit
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
      But they took the wheel in for the weekend? it is literally a 10 minute if that job, should have been done while you waited..

Not if the shop mechanics were busy. If they keep dropping the job they are doing for every five minute job which comes through the door they will not finish the jobs they are booked to work on.