Frame "damaged" on delivery

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I ordered a new bike for the first time, from the internet and when it arrived this week the box was pretty beat-up - the rear of the bike (the non-drive side dropout) was poking through the box.
Some of the paint has chipped off the hook of the dropout but there doesn't appear to be any other damage to the frame. This is a full Carbon Fiber bike.
Do you see any issues with this? The supplier has said "if there aren't any cracks then it should be grand". I was hoping for a more apologetic answer to be honest. Is this part of the bike aluminium or is the whole thing carbon?

XcwrCS7.jpg

tyxEMA0.jpg

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    if you are not happy, either ask for a discount or return it for a full refund
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    aidso wrote:
    The supplier has said "if there aren't any cracks then it should be grand". I was hoping for a more apologetic answer to be honest. Is this part of the bike aluminium or is the whole thing carbon?

Why risk it?
    You have the right to reject it (most bike shops would advise you to refuse the item upon delivery if the box is damaged).

Reject it and have a replacement delivered.
  • aidso
    Why risk it?
    You have the right to reject it (most bike shops would advise you to refuse the item upon delivery if the box is damaged).

Yeah its the risk I am "concerned" about. Its in a location that most people wouldn't notice until I point it out and doing a bit of Googling it says that the dropouts should be aluminium so *shouldn't* be an issue, but its that doubt in the back of my mind. I don't want the paint "riding up" and looking crap.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What's the frame? At first glance I'd have said it looks like a carbon dropout, but I suppose it could be alu painted black.

Being practical, there are no sinister looking paint cracks, and the small bit that's been flaked off will be largely hidden once the wheel's clamped in there. Most dropouts look like that after a few wheel changes anyway.

I suppose it depends on how quickly you want to be riding the bike?

How about you ask the seller for a free bottle cage or something vs the hassle delay of sending it back??
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    aidso wrote:
    The supplier has said "if there aren't any cracks then it should be grand". I was hoping for a more apologetic answer to be honest. Is this part of the bike aluminium or is the whole thing carbon?

Why risk it?

unless i m mistaken, the op has clamped a wheel QR in the frame, judging by the marks in the drop out or the supplier has, going to be hard to return as its easily argued (by shop) it has been used.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

unless i m mistaken, the op has clamped a wheel QR in the frame, judging by the marks in the drop out or the supplier has, going to be hard to return as its easily argued (by shop) it has been used.

But if the box was damaged upon delivery then he has every right to reject it.
    Although, if he signed for it this may be difficult to claim....
  • aidso
    Yeah going back to supplier to see what the next step is.
    Bike is a Rose Xeon CRS 2000 and the wheel was clamped when it was shipped as you can see poking through the box before I opened it :(
    ROYxjiL.jpg
    d8Nr7XM.jpg

I noted with the courier and he saved it as a complaint on the docket before I signed it saying "that's the way most bikes come these days I'm afraid" [re-assuring].