47mm front 32mm rear tyres

mattjevans
mattjevans Posts: 253
edited July 2015 in Cyclocross
Is this difference likely to be too much - I have tubulars and want a bit more size in the front but once you get above 34mm there is basically nothing available except for 29er MTB tubs like the Rhino XL in 47mm. My front fork has clearance for 47mm so thats not an issue.

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Is this difference likely to be too much - I have tubulars and want a bit more size in the front but once you get above 34mm there is basically nothing available except for 29er MTB tubs like the Rhino XL in 47mm. My front fork has clearance for 47mm so thats not an issue.

You'll add weight and rolling resistance and be UCI illegal, and it'll probably ruin your handling, but otherwise you could do it. Why do you want more? It's never occurred to me that I might want more air at the front.
  • mattjevans

You'll add weight and rolling resistance and be UCI illegal, and it'll probably ruin your handling, but otherwise you could do it. Why do you want more? It's never occurred to me that I might want more air at the front.
    Don't care about UCI and the weight increase is only 100g.
    I am thinking about a larger front as I ride often on fairly bumpy/chattery offroad singletrack, with roots etc, and a larger tyre would provide a small degree of "suspension".
    Can you elaborate on why it would ruin the handling, obviously thats a concern
  • VamP

I am thinking about a larger front as I ride often on fairly bumpy/chattery offroad singletrack, with roots etc, and a larger tyre would provide a small degree of "suspension".

Sounds as if it's not a race set up? In which case some of my comments are perhaps less valid. One specific thing in cross racing is that when it's wet, you get a kind of slimy peanut butter surface building up over the course of the race. Skinny cross tubs cut through this to eke out grip in the grass roots beneath. Wider MTB tyres sit on top of the gloop and slide about. So in those conditions your bike would be horrible to ride, as you want more grip at the front, not less.

The bigger tyre will lift your front end higher affecting geometry , so that could also be potentially adverse.

Out of interest, why tubs for recreational riding? Seems an expensive hammer to crack a nut?
  • mattjevans

Sounds as if it's not a race set up? In which case some of my comments are perhaps less valid. One specific thing in cross racing is that when it's wet, you get a kind of slimy peanut butter surface building up over the course of the race. Skinny cross tubs cut through this to eke out grip in the grass roots beneath. Wider MTB tyres sit on top of the gloop and slide about. So in those conditions your bike would be horrible to ride, as you want more grip at the front, not less.

The bigger tyre will lift your front end higher affecting geometry , so that could also be potentially adverse.

Out of interest, why tubs for recreational riding? Seems an expensive hammer to crack a nut?

Not for racing. I had the wheels from a previous bike where they made more sense and it was easier to keep than to explain new wheels to the wife....
  • VamP

Not for racing. I had the wheels from a previous bike where they made more sense and it was easier to keep than to explain new wheels to the wife....

Fair dos. I'd forget Dugast for recreational riding though. Much too fragile. Get a set of TUFOs, load them up with sealant and enjoy years of trouble free riding.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

Problem is for that sort of riding clinchers have so much more choice, and considering the price of tubs it's not far off a cheap if heavy set of wheels.
  • mattjevans

Problem is for that sort of riding clinchers have so much more choice, and considering the price of tubs it's not far off a cheap if heavy set of wheels.

I definitely don't want heavy wheels and that also means changing brake blocks and generally cocking about. I decided to put this on hold and just keep riding with 32's and play with pressure a bit more