Are my handle bars too narrow?

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited July 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all

I'm in to my first month of mbr, and thoroughly enjoying it. Find myself doing less and less road biking.

Anyways, my bike is an Anthem 27.5, and I think the handle bar is 690mm.

I've been increasing noticing in pics and online videos, that most riders ride with the index finger only on the brake, so I have been trying to do that, as the brakes are pretty sensitive.

The problem, though, that the bike was setup with the end of the brake lever reaching my ring/little finger?

So today I moved the brakelever/shifter complex about a couple of inch inwards, and indeed, I can now have better control with my index on the lever...

But the brake/shifters are quite close to the stem? Is that OK?

This whole thing made me feel that the bars are probably too narrow? I find myself most comfortable riding when only 3/4 my palm is on the grips, and a 1/4 is suspended beyond the bar ends?

I know most experienced riders opt for wider bars; 740mm and wider etc...for more control and DH etc...but would I be able to manage with such wider bars, if I do upgrade?

Bear in mind, I'm just a few weeks old mbr...!! Only rode road bikes for the past 10 yrs or so...

I attached some pics for BEFORE and AFTER

A22F10CB-4C23-4775-8C06-448B4DAADB47.jpg

9D6234A1-9361-457E-B701-60114CD393B4.jpg

thnx

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If your hands are hanging off the ends, you probably need wider bars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • odessouky
    If your hands are hanging off the ends, you probably need wider bars.

Hanging off the ends, mainly so that I can have better brake control when riding.

If I put my whole hand on the grips, my index or middle finger have NO leverage on the brake lever, and I find myself braking with all four fingers...
  • cooldad
    Then just move the levers. No one else can decide what's comfortable for you. My bars range from 560mm to 700mm. Depends on the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you fit wider bars, to do one finger braking there will still be a gap between grip and brake lever clamp!

Fit the width bar that suites you and put the controls where they are required, but for now put the controls in the right place!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    First of all, move your brake levers inwards, towards the centre of the bar, so they are in the right position relative to your grips for your desired braking position. If you feel that your hands are too close together, get a wider bar.

Chances are a wider bar will be better, but you might as well explore the zero-cost option first before dropping cash on a new bar.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    That's the problem with having silly Avid brakes, horrible levers. Just move them inwards to such a point where you can comfortably operate them with one finger, doesn't matter if there's a gap between the grip and the lever. There's no right or wrong setup for a bike cockpit, it's all down to the rider's preference. If after riding with the brakes slightly inboard you feel like you'e lacking control or it feels unstable, by all means try some wider bars.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • odessouky
    Thanks all for the replies....
    Very helpful
    Like I said, have little experience in Mr

But I remember before buying the full sus anthem, I demoed the whyte 905 2015, which had 750mm bars, and the handlebar felt better
  • cooldad
    How would we know what you'd demo'd to remember?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • odessouky
    How would we know what you'd demo'd to remember?

?
    Sorry, didn't get that?

My last post was a remark, rather than a question?
  • cooldad
    Sorry I missed the "I".
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools