Hub fail? / LBS fail? / bad luck?

itsrob
itsrob Posts: 95
edited July 2015 in Workshop
So... 35 miles in nice downhill and my chain feels funny, I stop pedalling immediately feels jammed up.
Closer inspection it turns but kind of really difficult.

Lots of head scratching later and the spacer which sits between the cassette and the frame has sunk meaning the wheel was held on by pushing against the lockring!!

Mate came and picked me up.

So what happened?

Last week the lbs changed the sealed cartridge bearings - have they missed something? Not done it correctly?

I don't remove the back wheel and hadn't hit anything had gone faster on the flats before

Obviously I'm going back to the shop but I'm wondering what my frame ofi mind should be?
Surely it's bloody dangerous if they have messed up?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,765
    I'm going to vote "lbs fail".

Is it a shimano hub? If you are truly incompetent, its possible to move the cups/cones far enough along the axle to do this.
  • itsrob
    Thank you for the vote - and would this take time for this to happen? Ie a week and about 100 miles?

I like to get as much info as I can before shooting my mouth off

That said I don't imagine there is much comeback on them!
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I'm guessing its not a Shimano hub if it is sealed cartridge bearings. They aren't usually rocket science to put back together. What wheel/hub is it?
  • itsrob
    Good morning,
    Rather a simple explanation - the cassette hadn't been tightened well enough, over the ride it had slackened off till eventually it had gone all the way to the frame hence it jamming. Quite a shit mistake to have made at the bikeshop that one!!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Good morning,
    Rather a simple explanation - the cassette hadn't been tightened well enough, over the ride it had slackened off till eventually it had gone all the way to the frame hence it jamming. Quite a shoot mistake to have made at the bikeshop that one!!

I would find yourself a new LBS.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Good morning,
    Rather a simple explanation - the cassette hadn't been tightened well enough, over the ride it had slackened off till eventually it had gone all the way to the frame hence it jamming. Quite a shoot mistake to have made at the bikeshop that one!!

I would find yourself a new LBS.

And tell us which it is so we can avoid it too...
  • itsrob
    Agreed on the LBS - could easily have been a fortune in damage caused
    Ironic that I only use LBS as my mate changed my chainset which resulted in a broken derailleur and eventually a cracked frame so thought it better to be done by a professional.

Prior to that I managed to put a cassette on all by myself and tightened it fully - so it shows the level of incompetence.

Beverley, East Yorkshire area
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Good morning,

easy fix then but as stated shouldn't be having that issue from a LBS