Willier Montegrappa v Giant 3

TheAbbeyFlyer
TheAbbeyFlyer Posts: 32
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
My work does the halfords cycle2work scheme. An independent shop near me is affiliated to the scheme and I always prefer to use an independent. They are quite pricey but my budget is £550-£600. Do I go for the giant defy 3 or the Willier Montegrappa Sora. Is it a comfort choice v better component choice v value for money! Opinions greatly received. The Willier is a lovely looking bike with Sora shifters Alu carbon fork warp wheels seat post with tekro brakes. Giant just seems rather generic and has no soul! But want something that will be good to me and has good reliability.

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do they have both in your size and can you test ride them?

I'd go for the Willier myself; never liked the look of Giants for some reason I can't put my finger on.
  • Do they have both in your size and can you test ride them?

I'd go for the Willier myself; never liked the look of Giants for some reason I can't put my finger on.

Yes I think I have convinced myself on the Willier but just want some advice/opinion to get a balanced case for or against the Willier
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Not a fan of the concept of a bike having more "soul" than another bike which is usually better value for money. The Defy is very highly rated for good reason - the geometry is dialled in for the enthusiastic cyclist who doesn't have the flexibility of a pro rider. There is not a massive compromise in terms of ride and handling in comparison with racier bikes with a more aggressive geometry. The componentry is of good value at that price range. At the end of day it comes down to which bike fits you best and what you want to use it for. I personally prefer the Defy.
  • Not a fan of the concept of a bike having more "soul" than another bike which is usually better value for money. The Defy is very highly rated for good reason - the geometry is dialled in for the enthusiastic cyclist who doesn't have the flexibility of a pro rider. There is not a massive compromise in terms of ride and handling in comparison with racier bikes with a more aggressive geometry. The componentry is of good value at that price range. At the end of day it comes down to which bike fits you best and what you want to use it for. I personally prefer the Defy.

I take that on board! Thank you. Will definitely be trying them for size and comfort.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Depends on how flexible you are, the montegrappa has a lower front end and shorter wheelbase. Spec. wise they are similar, so it will come down to fit, ride quality and which you prefer the look of.