Tufo Cubus - any good?

trek_dan
trek_dan Posts: 1,366
edited July 2015 in Cyclocross
Just bought some second hand tubs for next season and window shopping for tyres. I've noticed Ribble have got Tufo Cubus on for £30 each at the moment, wondered if anyone has used them? It gets quite muddy up in the NE where I race (the general tyre choice seems to be Griffo's or Rhino's) would these be suitable? I ran Griffo clinchers most of last year and was pleased with the grip out of the few tyres I tried but never went very low with pressures.

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Just bought some second hand tubs for next season and window shopping for tyres. I've noticed Ribble have got Tufo Cubus on for £30 each at the moment, wondered if anyone has used them? It gets quite muddy up in the NE where I race (the general tyre choice seems to be Griffo's or Rhino's) would these be suitable? I ran Griffo clinchers most of last year and was pleased with the grip out of the few tyres I tried but never went very low with pressures.

There's Cubus and Cubus Flexus. Judging by the price I'm guessing these are the former. Very tough tubs but not supple, so you lose out on the advantages of running low pressures. The Cubus Flexus are better in this regard although still some way off class leaders like the Rhinos you mention.

However, load the Cubus up with some sealant (their construction allows this) and they are nigh on indestructible. Perfect weapon for tyre graveyard courses and indeed the 3PX.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Ordered them and they arrived today. Ribble had an extra 10% off code so £54 the pair. See what you mean about the tyre side wall, pretty rigid. Should suit a few of the courses I'll be riding though.