Question about wheel / frame compatibility

marco67
marco67 Posts: 91
edited July 2015 in Workshop
OK, this might be a silly question, but should all wheels designed for road bikes, fit all road bikes?

I ask because I have just tried to fit a handbuilt front wheel to my Canyon Endurace and found that the at the ends of the hub - these bits (this isn't my bike, just an image to show what I mean)

front_hub_zpsfym5lhm1.jpg

the diameter is larger than the supplied DT Swiss wheels and they actually rub on the inside of the fork dropout. I have tried Ksyrium SL's and some FSA wheels which both work OK. Is this bad luck as compatibility isn't guaranteed, or is it a flaw in the design of either the wheel hub or the fork dropout? The wheel in question worked fine on my old Spesh Roubaix's and also works fine on my Sabbath Ti frame. The rear wheel fits no problem.
Ciao Marco

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    a little hard to understand the issue - are you saying when the wheel rotates the hub is catching on the fork?
  • marco67
    In essence yes, although it doesn't catch it is constantly in contact with the fork dropout
    Ciao Marco
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    In essence yes, although it doesn't catch it is constantly in contact with the fork dropout

ah, ok. if the wheel is spinning freely sounds fine to me.

agree that you'd expect the hub to not touch the fork, but if it works...
  • marco67
    Sorry, i'm not making myself clear and struggling to explain the problem.

Once the wheel is located in the dropouts and the wheel locked with the QR, the outer edge of the hub is in constant contact with the fork and it actually prevents the wheel for turning.
    Ciao Marco
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Are the end caps pushed in or tightened properly ?
  • marco67
    Yes, all checked and OK. As i've mentioned, the wheel worked fine on my old Specialized Roubaix and still works fine on my Sabbath
    Ciao Marco
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Tell us what front hub it is and somebody might have a similar set up to help you.

Double check the wheel is seated correctly.
  • marco67
    will post some pics later showing the problem
    Ciao Marco
  • marco67
    Hopefully these images will help it easier to understand what i;m rambling like a mad man about

The first two images show the inside of my Canyon Endurace fork dropouts where you can see a lip at what is the bottom of the carbon fork where the dropout joins

Canyon%20Fork%20dropout%202_zps2zcod4vu.jpg
    Canyon%20Fork%20dropout%201_zpsiwypfgrd.jpg

The next image shows the supplied DT Swiss wheel hub fitted (without skewers). This sits within the dropout and when locked with the skewer the black part of the hub is locked and the wheel rotates freely around it.

DT%20Swiss%20hub_zps0scpbk5k.jpg

The next image shows the Wheelsmith hub and you can see that the part of the hub that locks when the skewer is tightened is slightly proud of the main hub body. The problem is that when you clamp the wheel with the skewer the end of the main hub body constantly rubs on the dropout lips - you can see where these have been worn and the aluminium worn on the end of the main hub body.

Wheelsmith%20hub_zpsfsegekmt.jpg

So back to my question, should all wheels designed for road bikes work with all road bikes or are there times, like I am encountering, where they are just not compatible?

Do you think the ends of the aluminium hub body could be machined down to prevent them rubbing or am I better to just live with the DT Swiss wheels and leave the handbuilt wheelsmiths for another bike?

Any feedback would be welcome
    Ciao Marco